Author Topic: Baby fig recipes.  (Read 2315 times)

pumkinlover

Baby fig recipes.
« on: September 21, 2011, 13:48:35 »
I've started taking the little figs off the trees and want to do something with them.
I've googled and mostly its people selling them in bottles! One greek cookery site had a recipe which involved, soaking them, cooking for 15 mins, changing water, cooking again 15 mins then cooking in syrup.

I guess this cooks them and may be gets rid of any bitter tastes??
Any one done this or any other ideas? ;)

pumkinlover

Re: Baby fig recipes.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 15:00:09 »
Also with the recipe above you have to put a nail or screwdriver into the fig to make a hole - I am guessing this is to release the sticky latex type stuff which comes out?

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 15:42:48 »
Can't you leave them a bit longer to ripen? It sounds a bit cool for figs, although I may be wrong. I have never tried cooking them when unripe, they are very nice roasted though when they are riper, either as a sweet or in with say a pork roast.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 17:16:23 »
Thanks antipodes, unfortuatly in this country (up north :)) the baby figs will not ripen. You have to take them off so the really little ones then grow into normal figs next year. Normally they get thrown but having seen them in jars I wanted to try some.
Your ideas sound good!

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 20:35:31 »
Can I bump this one in hope of more ideas- Squash??? :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal