Author Topic: Cucumbers - PASSANDRA  (Read 8925 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Cucumbers - PASSANDRA
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:37:03 »
In a cold 'house, how long/tall can the plant grow & how many fruit do you average on each??

petengade

• Acre
Re: Cucumbers - PASSANDRA
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 17:40:49 »
Found this Tim, grow 6-7 inches

How To Sow & Grow Cucumber 'Passandra'
Sow under protection in pots late February to April.
Place seeds on end, blunted end pointing downwards in compost - simply push into compost out of sight. Water thoroughly and germinate at a temperature of 75°f.
When seed leaves are developed reduce temperature to around 65°-70°f.
Plant out late March (heated greenhouse) or late May (unheated greenhouse), or later if growing outside. Plant two per growbag or straw bale or one per large pot.
Support the plants with canes and pinch out the growing points when the main stems reach the greenhouse roof. Pinch out the tip of each side shoot two leaves beyond flowers and pinch out flowerless shoots when they reach 2ft in length.
Harvest as required and to encourage repeat fruiting.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 17:41:49 »
I grew it a couple of years ago and was very disappointed with growth and harvest - but then - I've never achieved a harvest of any greenhouse vegetable to compare with your GH Tim  :), whether cucumber, tomato, pepper or aubergine!

Tricia

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 18:37:23 »
I bought seed from Cottage Garden Seeds, three seeds for 75p, which I thought at the time was expensive. However, three plants from these seed, sown 30 April, have given me more cucumbers than I can deal with, and with no tending to speak of other than feeding and watering, They were grown about two feet up canes and then trailed around the cold greenhouse for about six feet. I must have had about 8 to 10 cucumbers off each plant, each about 8 inches long, one and a half inches diameter. The plants are still producing even now but tailing off rapidly. The green house has been fully open night and day for at least three months. All in all, a good 75p worth!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 09:27:05 »
Thanks for all that info.

One book says pinch out at roof height & allow 2 laterals to hang down. If I do this, nothing happens!

Ours grew to 12 feet & then got clobbered by Red Spider.

We averaged 25 per plant which I thought was a bit low but, when I checked previous years, it seemed about right.

I may have posted the photo before?

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 17:34:57 »
Your cucumbers look amazing Tim - I agree with tricia about your greenhouse!

I grow Passandra most years. Not this year, though - tried Camilla instead.

Anyway, in terms of number/length, I don't record this. However, our greenhouse is 12' long, and the cukes normally go up to the roof and along wires right to the other end by season's finish. And I reckon we get at least one cucumber every single day from June to mid/late Oct, from three plants; when the weather is hot one per plant per day. So on that basis maybe 25 is a bit low?

Funnily enough, this year for the first time I thought I'd try what the 'books' recommend. So when one plant reached the roof I pinched it out. It sulked for weeks before making laterals, whilst the two running along the roof kept on making babies. So I'm not doing that again! Interesting that you found the same.

Perhaps Passandra didn't like the horrid summer so well?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 18:08:46 »
That seems a bit better than my average, but typical of lifespan.

However, I've checked back & found that in other years I've averaged 30-35. Interesting that yield can vary from 21 to 51 per plant -  all grown side by side.

The spider cut us short in August!!

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 18:31:34 »

The spider cut us short in August!!

That is exceptionally annoying. Home grown cucumbers are so much nicer, and I know you've mentioned how your grandchildren love them.

Maybe I will count cucumbers next year just out of interest. But I doubt it, I'm not a counting person. When I go swimming, I count laps in batches of 4 and time myself, I never count the whole distance.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal