Author Topic: another apple glut recipe  (Read 5627 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
another apple glut recipe
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:43:51 »
I made Gordon Ramsay's spiced apple cake yesterday (recipe from "Healthy Appetite".
http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/512673/spiced-apple-cake

It uses over a kilo of apples. I used Discovery because I don't have cookers. I just had to cook the puree a bit longer.

I tend not to have a sweet tooth, but this was pronounced delicious by us all - light, sweet and moist! I might just make another one and see how it freezes!

Also pretty easy - I'm not a frequent baker but the recipe was easy to follow and worked first time.

betula

• Hectare
Re: another apple glut recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 09:11:33 »
I wonder why the apples have been so good this year?

I have quite a mature tree in my small Cathedral garden and the person who lives next door told me it has never produced much but this year have had loads.He had to give it up as he is getting on now so I have been giving him runner beans as a thankyou for him keeping my watering cans full...........now I think I will try a couple of these cakes and give him one.

Not sure what apple it is but it looks and tastes like Golden Delicious. ???

Don't know much about apples.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 10:10:10 »
Apparently the good year for apples was a helped along by:

Cold Winter
Early hot Spring
Long cool wet Summer

There was something on R4 the other day but it was in the background so didnt catch it all..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 10:27:59 »
That looks wonderful!!!
I have foraged for apples this year and currently have about 3 boxes full in the cellar! In France too, the apple trees were heaving this year.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:48:25 »
MMM...that recipe 'sounds' nice..I'm going bake some bread today..and while the oven is hot, I might make a cake too.. ;D
I just need to go and get some butter.. ;) ;D Thanks!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 17:41:09 »
report of the recipe;....YUUUUUMMMM.. ;D I'm just having second helping of it.. ;D
I made it slightly differently to the recipe by leaving the apple sauce quite 'lumpy'..nice to have little 'accidental' pieces of the apple in the cake and didn't do the decorative top..it doesn't need it.
Although I don't like GR..but this is second cake recipe of 'his' that I've done and I do have to admit, they've been good.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 22:35:05 »
Glad you liked it GL!! Gordon Ramsay can be ultra irritating but I've yet to find a poor GR recipe.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 18:34:45 »
I've squeezed some sharpish apples and grated a bit of root ginger in the juice, it is great with virgin olive oil and balsamic as a dip.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 15:34:20 »
I bit the bullet and made apple "cheese" and it was surprisingly easy! OK the yield is not great but when you are sick to death of the sight of an apple it is not too bad!

I cooked up a couple of kilos of apples - just rinse, chop roughly, leave all skin, pips everything. In pressure cooker (Well I did it in there to be quick), fill with water about halfway up the apples - I cheated and put in a little whisky too, but you could also put a dash of rum or make half water half cide if you like a wee kick.
Cook until really mushy.
Then I pushed them through a slim colander so only the juice and some of the puree went through. Leave to drain a while as juice will come out for some time.
Then measure the resulting juice-pulp. Add 100g of sugar to 100g of pulp. I also added two dessertspoons of apple cider vinegar to increase acidity.
Heat slowly while stirring then boil slowly for a good half an hour, until pulp is thick and jammy. Put into hot sterile jars like jam, or into small bowls and cover (I made a few in little yoghurt glass jars which I thin covered immediately in clingfilm).
They say leave for at least a month to mature, so haven't tried yet, but they certainly seem to have set well and hopefully we will soon be eating them with cold meats and cheese.

I think I will also be making some apple pie mix and boiling it in jars for use later in the season.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 20:16:02 »
Made this cake the other day we were pleased with the looks and taste is delicious....but the texture looks solid, however when you eat it it's fine ???
I'm not a cake expert and I will make again, but put a little less apple in? Also I used 3 banty eggs instead of one large so maybe too much egg? [attachment=1]

thanks for recipe though Grawc, going to keep at till I get it right!!

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 20:34:24 »

I think most apple cakes are alittle solid, so that's properly how it's meant to be.

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 20:42:17 »
Oh that's good, because if you ate it with eyes shut you would think it fine ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal