Author Topic: white fly  (Read 1468 times)

diggerrick

• Quarter Acre
white fly
« on: September 18, 2011, 20:53:33 »
hi. whats the best way to get rid of white fly from my brassicas? and can they do any harm to the plants?  i seem to have a swarm of them when i shake the plants. cheers rick
keep digging

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: white fly
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 20:56:57 »
Almost imposible... but don't often do too much damage...  :-X

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 23:22:57 »
I read on another site that someone used pure soap, place it in water let it soften then drain the water off and then I sprayed it on all the greens. It had no effect that day but the following day no white fly! That was 2 days ago and I am going up tomorrow to see if it's still working

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 08:32:51 »
my brassicas were covered in them yesterday, I have used soap in the past but it is a temporary measure. I am not going to bother myself at the moment as my broccoli are good and strong and my cabbages have good solid hearts. I am hoping that the swarm reduces over winter. Mybe next year I will try dusting with diatomaceous earth

Easywriter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 11:19:00 »
Hi

My curly kale are riddled with them. Leaves look very healthy on top, but look underneath and there are what appear to be whitlefly eggs, millions of them [well, lots anyway].

Cabbage also has clouds of whitefly, but they don't seem to like laying their eggs on that, and I don't think they actually do any harm.

Going to try ultra-fine netting [won't even let whitelfly through] next year.

:)
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal