Author Topic: YES.... I now have a PLOT.... I don't believe my luck..  (Read 3003 times)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
YES.... I now have a PLOT.... I don't believe my luck..
« on: September 17, 2011, 01:05:30 »
I'm so happy ...  :D :D :D :D :D

Yes....  I have been allocated a lottie PLOT.... I really don't believe my luck.. I only put my name down a few weeks ago with the council and the 2 local association run Allotment sites..  I have been allocated one on my third preference which is still great and only 2 miles away.. (My first pref is only 400 yards from my house and is an old council site that has been closed for a while and re-vamped and not re-allocated as yet - but alas I was not succesful with it. I'll still leave my name on the list for it for future allocation - hopefully).

My new plot is only about 90 sq yards so not a great size but still adequate for me. I will also still use my rooftop garden and greenhouse for onions and a few strawbs to use as fresh pickings when required.. Normally halfway through preparing the meals I remember I need some onions and some strawbs to have for pud..

The plot is a bit run down so need some advice.. I'm going to clear it of a bit of grass and weeds and then I was going to spread horse manure (fresh) and either dig in to decompose or leave on top to be sorted by the winter.. What would be the recommendations of the forum?
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
Re: YES.... I now have a PLOT.... I don't believe my luck..
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 07:21:24 »
Good for you  :) I'll leave advice to others who know more.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 08:12:08 »
well done! that will keep you v busy

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 08:21:54 »
Well done thats brilliant news as you have done so well on your roof , Good on you.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 08:53:48 »
That's great news Gavin,
Have you checked the horse muck for amiliopride or however you spell it before you spread everywhere.
I must admit that I would only use as part of my rotation on the spuds and squash areas, but that's how I like to do it.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 09:24:32 »
Exciting.........dig it all over first,grt rid of the weeds.Plan the layout.

Be very careful about the muck you use.......do a bean test first before you use it.

Good luck ;D

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 09:45:14 »
Hi  - thanks for the bean test heads up advice...  :)  I have used the same manure now for 3 years on all my veg and garden and none of my plants have been hit so I assume it is ok...

I cant wait to get stuck in.... have to wait till the ex tennent has cleared his stuff out... hopefully the shed will stay.  ;D
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 10:39:31 »
CONGRATULATIONS GAVIN
I am so happy for you ;D
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 10:41:49 »
Congratulations, it's a wonderful feeling, isn't it!

Covering with muck sounds like a good idea to stop winter compaction. An easier one could also be green manure, if you run out of manure for some of the beds.

I like to clear ground in summer or autumn if it's possible, because it takes a few goes before it's clear enough to plant or sow without couch grass growing back within minutes! If you clear in the dead of winter, you can't always see if you've got all the couch roots, and then you sow peas or something and come back in two weeks and it's covered in grass.

But it depends on how much you can manage this Autumn of course.

Good luck!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 10:46:47 »
Exciting news, well done you  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

antsuxx

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 12:00:53 »

Great news Gavin , i know how  you must feel , having got mine in May after a 2 anhalf year wait! mines only about 80sq. mtrs.  but its amazing what you can grow with proper p[lanning , about to plant some Broccoli plants and Spring cabbage iv just picked  up from Wyvale

Good Luck with the plot.  Ant

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 09:32:14 »
I measured my plot last night and it is even bigger than I estimated...   it is 115 sq mt of useable space and it is a half plot of the original.. Plus it has a shed but it may be taken away by the ex tennent...  :(

I've also decided to remove my roof-top greenhouse and take it to the plot... I fear it may be a bit heavy for the roof when pots of growing veg are in it...  ??? So if the shed is removed I't will become a "green-shed" being tool store and veg...

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 09:40:26 »
Well done for all those with new plots.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I do mine.  Just coming to the end of my third growing season and still enjoying.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 14:08:25 »
I've already drawn it to scale and planned the whole plot for next season... Now just ordered extra bags of horse manure from my sons GF who has a horse.. One horse will have to eat lots to give me enough!!  ;D

I will clear the plot, dig as much as I can and put manure before the ground freezes.. I am so looking forward to it. I have to give notice on the 2 small garden shares I had been using but one was full of Marestail and the other was toooooooo shaded!!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 08:22:19 »
Location and aspect are really important and often underrated. I remember when I was offered a choice of 3 plots, I took the one that in the poorest state and very overgrown and the then Chairman thought I was bonkers as the other two were in much better shape! However, I opted for one with a fence panel at the front by a small turning circle which means I can remove the panels and get muck dumped directly onto my plot, thus saving hours of barrowing the stuff around. It it also south west facing with fruit trees at the rear so gets virtually no shade.

If you have inherited any weedy areas you can always cover them overwinter to get a head start on clearing it next year, it is always tempting to try and get it all done at once but be careful you do not do yourself a mischief!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 16:23:55 »
Nice one Gavin and enjoy, I'm glad your taking down the greenhouse as I was worried about the weight.   ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Ruth Rocket

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 18:54:13 »
Awesome news, congratulations!  I have been really inspired by your rooftop garden pics and encouraging my friends who have a little balcony to look at your pics! 
 :)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 22:38:47 »
Thanks to all for your comments... I still have to wait a bit for the chap to move his tools etc...

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 21:03:38 »
Hope you have many years of happy growing.Well done.Do a little often not all at once.Ann

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal