Author Topic: Would you help with a donation?  (Read 3090 times)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Would you help with a donation?
« on: September 14, 2011, 00:47:16 »
The family of Roald Dahl have launched a £500,000 campaign to save his garden shed.

Click here for the news as it appears in the Telegraph

What do you think?

SPUDLY

• Acre
Re: Would you help with a donation?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 01:53:59 »
Wow! Nice work if you can get it. I think i will start up my own shed erecting company. I think i could supply a 6' by 7' shed and erect it anywhere on this planet for £500,000. :o

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:59:06 »
Huh..I think there is limit what important and needs to be saved.. ::)
As much as I like Dahl's books and stories..his old shed doesn't deserve that sort of money spending for it.
How about their millions?..can't they scrape few quid together to nail few pieces of timber together and scatter all the rubbish around again... ::)

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 08:12:02 »
I'm sure that there ahve been enough Dahl books sold over the years for there to be money in the coffers to  move it themselves.

There are far more deserving causes in the UK, that would benefit ffrom peoples cash.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 10:19:37 »
Yes what a cheek when Dahl was very well off in his lifetime and left a huge publishing legacy for his family. Surely they can fork out the cash!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 12:07:16 »
My goodness you could build quite a few houses for that kind of money!! And why did they let the shed get into disrepair in the first place if it is such an important heirloom!! Just daft.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:34:01 »
It's only the interior and contents that are being preserved.
Reading the museum web site, what I want made clear is some of the money being used to actualy buy the contents from the Dahl estate?

We need to raise £500,000 to carry out the first phase of this exciting and important project, which involves acquiring, conserving and displaying the interior of the iconic Writing Hut and its contents in the Museum
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:36:09 by Chrispy »
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 12:53:52 »
What a load of rubbish..literally.. ::)

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 14:22:44 »
Our shed needs a lick of paint and new roofing felt, anyone want to make a donation?? ;)

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 14:25:30 »
I could do with a new shed. thats assuming my shed is still standing as I havent got down the plot since the wind (sick boys off school).

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 14:27:38 »
I could do with a new shed. thats assuming my shed is still standing as I havent got down the plot since the wind (sick boys off school).

Ah but is yours of historic interest??? ;)

hope boys better soon

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 15:25:33 »
 Unbelievable, that family has so much money let them pay for it their Bl**dy selves.
Think how many hard up families that would help.  It seems greed has no bounds anymore. >:(
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 15:27:28 by rosebud »

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 16:18:49 »
Unbelievable, that family has so much money let them pay for it their Bl**dy selves.
Think how many hard up families that would help.  It seems greed has no bounds anymore. >:(

That's exactly what I thought.

It seems that if you have more money than you need you seem to think you need even more.
Maybe that's how the super rich in society got to be filthy rich in the first place.

It'd be nice to see them donating an additional 1/2 million to adult and children's services after the massive cuts that have left vulnerable people with reduced help or none at all.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 16:37:48 »

Ah but is yours of historic interest??? ;)

hope boys better soon

Hmmm it shows a unique skill of see what old bit s and pieces I can make a shed out of, and it was made by an allotmenter who is now deceased. But other then that - no. Guess mine doesnt qualify then  ;D

Boy is better now, possibly something he ate, but they have to stay of school for 48 hours, and he hates going to the plot without daddy so I just souldnt have got anything done for the whinging.

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 17:31:28 »
Oh that definatly counts! ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal