Author Topic: Over wintering Dahlias help needed  (Read 8686 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: Over wintering Dahlias help needed
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 23:59:36 »
 iF YOU ARE GOING TO LEAVE THEM IN THE GROUND MAY I SUGGEST THAT AFTER HEAPS OF STRAW YOU PUT A VERY LARGE PLANT POT OVER PRESSED WELL INTO THE GROUND  Oppppps sorry, stuffed with newspaper to help keep the ground free from frost.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 01:57:34 »
iF YOU ARE GOING TO LEAVE THEM IN THE GROUND MAY I SUGGEST THAT AFTER HEAPS OF STRAW YOU PUT A VERY LARGE PLANT POT OVER PRESSED WELL INTO THE GROUND  Oppppps sorry, stuffed with newspaper to help keep the ground free from frost.

That's a good tip... I think I've heard it before but had forgotten all about it.  ::)
Thanks for the reminder.

My dahlias grew so well that I had to lift them as they were taking over when I really wanted edible crops on the plot. Several tubers went off to new homes.  ;)

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 11:39:07 »
For two years on the trot I left some of mine in the ground! They were on the plot and there only for cut flowers so I was not too desperate to keep them. (3 different types)

They grew in the corner between two grass paths and at the back of a shed. I covered the lot with a large heap of compost and piled dried grass over the top of that. I was surprised when up they came each spring bigger and better. I took a chance I must admit.

Coming up bigger and better is the benefit of leaving them in the ground. I have one now that is five years old and grows into a fabulous shrub-sized plant. It lived through the past two winters. BUT I am in the south.

It is worth experimenting, I have found different varieties and also different positions in the same garden (varying microclimates) make a difference to survival or not.

Dahlias are, after all, quite cheap to replace from seed/tubers if they are lost.

PS Digeroo I know this advice possibly isn't much use to you, as colder where you are, but others might find it helpful info.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 11:41:03 by Morris »

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 15:10:37 »
I grew these from seed last year and left them in the ground, covered in thick straw.

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

[attachment=3]

They are both at least 5 feet tall and very bushy.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 18:17:17 »
They are lovely Squash! Thanks for sharing the photos.  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 10:04:05 »
There saying first frosts will hit this weekend so i need to consider what to do with my Dahlias in the front of the garden.

At the moment there about 4ft high with masses of flowers so i am going to cut it back lightly today and then a little harder thursday so its not 2 much of a shock for the plant.

I have a wooden box which i am going to fill with compost (having lined with newspaper) and will stick some straw on top as i dont know how frost free my garage is. I am hoping this will have the desired effect :)

In the back garden is a slightly different matter i have planted the new tubers into a large recycling box as i was not able to plant in garden due to laying the new lawn. So the question is do i do the same thing to these tubers or do i just try and move the entire box into the garage? These tubers are already showing signs of dying back so i was just going to cut them back in one go.

Cam

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 23:32:19 »
There saying first frosts will hit this weekend .........................
Cam

Where are you?

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2011, 23:31:44 »
east anglia i think its been getting quiet close to frosts temp here its freezing

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 17:21:46 »
east anglia i think its been getting quiet close to frosts temp here its freezing

Temperatures are dipping overnight here as well. Heavy dew so far but........  :(   it's on the cards.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2011, 18:38:20 »
A slight touch of frost my side of the downs last night, luckily mine are now safely in the garage.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 18:45:14 by Poppy Mole »

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 10:36:40 »
A slight touch of frost my side of the downs last night, luckily mine are now safely in the garage.

I'm sure it wont be long before the frost is on my side of the Downs too. (Roll on summer!!  ;D)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal