Author Topic: My pond is leaking...  (Read 7736 times)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
My pond is leaking...
« on: September 09, 2011, 02:53:17 »
And I wonder is now the best time to replace it? I have a gut feeling it is the right time, but me confidence has run off with me intelligence, I might find them both lurkin' in the bottom of the pond  ;D!

If anyone has any tips on how to do it properly....that would be great.

Thanks  :) 
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: My pond is leaking...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 23:58:04 »
If you have flag iris or anything else that needs reducing over Winter then that would be the time to drain and replace the liner too. You might want to fill as many black bin liners with the water as you can so you can refill the pond with conditioned water rather than new. Do save and reuse the sludge at the bottom if you can as well, it all helps re-establish the pond.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 00:24:05 »
On the rare occasions when I empty our pond I have buckets and bowls nearby to house anything that wiggles or swims. A large tin bath is used to hold the fish and a net cover keeps the cat from "helping".

Bin-liners in cardboard boxes are good for aquatic plants or large empty plant tubs/pots.

To reduce the size of iris I use an old serrated bread-knife to saw through the tubers before replanting.

I think I would tackle the job any time now rather than wait for winter. It's warmer for one thing and the pond life will have a chance to settle down before the freeze.

star

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 21:40:29 »
Thanks for the tips lads, I dont have Irises....my pond is only a weeny one. I will go to a carboot sale and see about a 'not so new' baby bath. I like the bags in boxes for keeping the plants in. And defo thanks for the reminder to keep the sludge.

Well that will keep me busy when I come back of me hols  ;D

Nomspatch

• Half Acre
  • Dedicated dirt displacer
    • Nom's Patch
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 17:11:25 »
You have probably sorted this by now but...
I notice your pond is 'baby bath sized'..have you thought of a black plastic dustbin?
Sink it into the ground 2'3rds and fill with water liliy some air producing weedand a few fish (fair sized goldies are a good start...have it near the house and in a shady spot so it doesn't overheat...if the weather is really bad in winter you can use an aquarium heater to warm it (or a demijohn with hot water in) and if the fish are gasping at the surface in hot weather you can drop an aquarium air supply in....they make excellent little ponds and can even be safely lagged (above ground) and the lid put on to stop snow  (take off asap after though)
Dirty fingernails are a sign of a healthy garden!
http://nomspatch.blogspot.co.uk/

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 21:41:06 »
You have probably sorted this by now but...
I notice your pond is 'baby bath sized'..have you thought of a black plastic dustbin?
Sink it into the ground 2'3rds and fill with water liliy some air producing weedand a few fish (fair sized goldies are a good start...have it near the house and in a shady spot so it doesn't overheat...if the weather is really bad in winter you can use an aquarium heater to warm it (or a demijohn with hot water in) and if the fish are gasping at the surface in hot weather you can drop an aquarium air supply in....they make excellent little ponds and can even be safely lagged (above ground) and the lid put on to stop snow  (take off asap after though)

That's a nice idea but I'd hunt for an old plastic cold water storage tank. The shape would give a wider, more open surface area and be pretty deep.... even an old plastic bath. (Cast iron ones are so heavy I'd avoid them)

star

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 16:34:41 »
I should have posted to say we did it last year. We got a preformed one, which is about the same size as the old liner. I saved the sludge and some water. it looks like its been there forever and frog spawn as well :icon_cheers:. At least we won't have to worry again for a few years about another leak :toothy10:

:wave:

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 00:21:59 »
I should have posted to say we did it last year. We got a preformed one, which is about the same size as the old liner. I saved the sludge and some water. it looks like its been there forever and frog spawn as well :icon_cheers:. At least we won't have to worry again for a few years about another leak :toothy10:

:wave:

Good for you. I hope you enjoy your new pond.

I never purposely save "sludge" but do leave it to settle in a large tin bath so anything living in the bottom has a chance to clamber up and out before the sludge is drained and added to the compost heap. It's hard to get it all out of the pond when we I clean the pond out - not an annual or even biannual job but it needs to be done every once in a while.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal