Author Topic: Where has my blackbird gone?  (Read 9423 times)

fitzsie

• Acre
Where has my blackbird gone?
« on: September 08, 2011, 18:18:49 »
We often feed the local birds and have one blackbird which we will take sultanas from our hand. We haven't seen "Leroy" now for a few weeks, I know this is the time of their moult and will disappear but where DO they go during this time?
Bring back Spotty Dog........

betula

• Hectare
Re: Where has my blackbird gone?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 18:39:29 »
A couple of Blackbids used to visit me regularly on the Allotment.....long time no see :(

I noticed other plot holders seem to use a lot of slug pellets,bright blue and was concerned.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 19:59:11 »
Doesn't stop me worrying about him !!!  He's been around now since we moved into our current home , about 19 months and we are dreading the day that we no longer see him at all.
From the beginning. he'd eat the sultanas on the ground and if we were outside he would just carry on and ignore us. We then held the fruit in the palm of our hand and he would come straight up and take them from us.  He would get bolder and fly up to us in the garden either singing or making this tutting noise. We would then have to go into the house and get him his food. If we weren't out in the garden he would stand on the patio table by the kitchen window waiting for us.
His Mrs then joined him but she would never take the food from our hands but would often sit on the table waiting. He had two broods this year and brought the young into the garden . They certainly become members of the family.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 20:03:48 »
Blackbirds dining around - More raspberries for me  ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 20:28:25 by Digeroo »

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 20:06:19 »
My friendly sultana eating blackbirds have also gone their holidays.  They have left behind their off shpring, lurking in the bushes who dash out and then dash back in again.   Your friendly  Leroy will be back when the weather turns cold.    Fingers crossed.   I do like my blackbirds as well.

;D

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 18:43:46 »
Well, I think I have to fear the worst. We now have lots of blackbirds in the garden and not one of them is Leroy.  We really miss him and we feel like we have lost a friend. That's nature I suppose.......... :'(

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 19:24:18 »
Well, I think I have to fear the worst. We now have lots of blackbirds in the garden and not one of them is Leroy.  We really miss him and we feel like we have lost a friend. That's nature I suppose.......... :'(

He might have found a new mate and new territory/home. We had a local blackbird that used to visit our garden then oneday he dissapeared only to reapear twelve months later with a fine looking female blackbird.

All may not be lost.
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 19:52:05 »
My friendly raison eating blackbird has also gone.  I have amassed quite a few bags of raisons as well.  I hope he hasn't met his end either.  Maybe yours and mine will turn up again.  ## :'(

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 20:05:08 »

I really hope so. He has been in our area for the past two years and one of neighbours has known him for longer (we only moved here 2 years ago) . 
Typical though, always a woman involved............. !! ::)

He might have found a new mate and new territory/home. We had a local blackbird that used to visit our garden then oneday he dissapeared only to reapear twelve months later with a fine looking female blackbird.

All may not be lost.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 20:07:32 by fitzsie »

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 20:06:26 »
I think mine is still here.  I went out to 3 blackbirds sunday morning and one blackie let me put the sultanas in front of him and he didn't budge.  Maybe there is still loads of natural food out there for them.  Fingers crossed eh?

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 20:53:17 »
Not started feeding yet bought some in last weekend so we are ready a lot of birds are in our hedge at the bottem of the garden and they all seem ok have been putting water out everyday. But will start making fat balls ;) for the birds ;D this week cheap lard from tesco and i add seed nuts and what ever to put in them :)
m j gravell

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 19:56:36 »
Lovely suprise this morning, saw a blackbird sitting on the patio table which continued to sit there staring at me. Could it be Leroy? So with sultanas in hand I went outside and when he didn't fly away I reached out with one and he took it from me. He is back !!! Really thought we had lost him but he is here and looking really healthy. Must be this milder weather and plenty of food about. Wherever he has been, our friend is back !!!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 21:11:11 »
Hurray, I am so pleased for you.

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 21:41:29 »
Oh. that is great, so pleased to hear it.    Weather is colder now as well so he maybe thought he would return to his safe feeding place.   ;D ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 09:04:38 »
How lovely nice to see a friend back. 

After many years withino ut one I now have a thrush again, they are so good at dealing with the snails.

I seem to have a cat which has adopted my garden so I am not see many birds at all.
I hear a lot of the 'pink pink' calls from the blackbirds warning of the cat but they are staying well hidden.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 09:18:51 »
Leroy..the blackbird.. ;D
I'm glad you've got your feathered friend back..it could be that it went away to do bit of moulting..and now its back when its fully clothed again.. ;)
Birds get a bit timid when they don't have their full bloom on.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal