Author Topic: Cat Pining?  (Read 3631 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Cat Pining?
« on: September 07, 2011, 09:57:53 »
Spencer used to visit an elderly lady round the corner. He was there lots, and we suspect she fed him. Recently the house went up for sale, so we presume she died or went into sheltered accommodation. Spencer is heartbroken, he is around all the time, wants lots of cuddles and is a changed cat. The problem we have now is that, twice, he has had a pee in the corner of the kitchen! Once I was stood right there next to him, so he is not even being sneaky!

Three questions. Do the cat experts out there think I am right about him pining? Also, what can I do to stop him peeing in the kitchen? Are the two things linked? I suspect I know the answer to the last one!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Cat Pining?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 11:19:51 »
I don't think we give credit enough for animals and their feelings..yes I do believe they have them.
Perharps you could put litter box for time being on that corner..and perharps after while he adjust again for the changed situation and will stop leaving 'distress' marks.
It is quite usual way for cats/dogs to show their emotions with 'not so nice way' to us...
I'm afraid only remedy for that is ..keep cuddling and make him feel appreciated.. ;)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 13:21:44 »
Yes I think cats pine, and sulk! Our three are only just coming up to me and allowing me to stroke them after a week away on holiday with a friend coming in to feed them, and the 'boss' cat Vic yowls up at my daughters room in the attic after she has been back to stay for the weekend....he obviously misses her.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:48:53 »
Poor Spencer he is really upset at the moment. Cats definately do pine for someone no longer there an they hate change, so Spencer is really going through it at the moment.  He needs plenty of tlc and reassurance from you to fill the void of attention he is craving. You could get a Feliway diffuser from your vet or pet supplier which you plug in like a plug in air freshener. IT sends out a synthetic hormone which is like a mother cat and it will help to soothe him and take the edge off things. They do work we use one in our bungalow with 6 indoor cats. That combined with lots of attention will help and the peeing will stop. The best thing to use on cat urine is biological washing powder as it breaks down the enzymes in the urine and then dab the area with surgical spirit and let it dry. This should help with Spencers problem quite quickly (within a couple of weeks at most). If the peeing continues after that i would take him to the vet just to get checked over although I dont feel it will come to this :)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 13:18:23 »
Thanks very much everyone for your sympathetic and helpful responses. Spencer is having lots of treats and cuddles and, hopefully, will get over it soon. So far so good for the kitchen floor, nothing liquid on it for over 24hrs!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 17:16:40 »
Oh good, fingers crossed it stays that way!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 18:12:06 »
We went on holiday for a week and left friends taking care of the cats (we had 3) while we were away. Because we were worried about Spencer we arranged for another friend to come in once a day to give Spencer extra TLC in between morning and tea time visits. We came back on 22nd of September, late at night, and realised that Spencer was not well. We took him to the vet first thing on 23rd and they did blood tests etc, but it was apparent that he was seriously ill. His kidneys had packed up and we decided to have him put to sleep, he was so poorly that he couldn't even purr.

We felt dreadful, the thought that he was so ill and we didn't even realise was awful. The vet said that it is a symptom of kidney failure that they will get very depressed, so we should not blame ourselves, but we still feel really bad.

RIP Spenny  :'(

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 18:37:24 »
So sorry to hear this news Katy.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 18:55:22 »
So sorry to hear of your loss of Spencer.  Please dont blame yourself as cats seem to be able to hide symtoms of being unwell until they are really very very sick. They can also go downhill very quickly indeed. We had a very similar thing with our cat Celine so I do know how you feel. Spencer had a good life with you and had lots of extra tlc and cuddles at the end of his life and he was able to live his life to the full till the end with all his dignity intact. Take care of yourself and RIP Spencer the catxxxx

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 19:12:13 »
Sad news Katy............I am sure he had a great life with you  so please take comfort from that x

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 19:18:33 »
Sorry to hear about Spencer :'(. We tend to blame ourselves don't we.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 19:26:03 »
So sorry to hear about Spencer, but I am sure he knew how much you loved him.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 21:15:56 »
Oh dear, so sorry to hear about Spencer..... :'( Cats can go downhill really fast, we had to have our lovely Alf put to sleep years ago when he suddenly started sleeping on the cold kitchen tiled floor, and it turned out he had feline leukaemia.....I still miss him.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal