Author Topic: Hops  (Read 1827 times)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Hops
« on: August 31, 2011, 21:09:43 »
How are they best propagated? I tried drying seeds last year and sowing them this spring, with no success. Do I need to dig up a sucker instead?
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

claybasket

• Hectare
Re: Hops
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 05:04:53 »
hi,my friend has a hop i just took bit and put then into a pot half sand and compost,it started to grow at the base in a few weeks ,i did this in the spring ,i don't know if that was the best time,but give it a go ,you 've nout to lose.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 18:21:12 »
Shirley(shirlton) has one, she may be willing to send a cutting  :)

star

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 23:19:04 »
Hi Claybasket.....I haven't tried a cutting in compost. I did pop a piece in water through summer. But it didn't like that one bit. I will try spring in the compost mix. Thanks  ;)

Hi Mal....There is a wild hop growing where I walk the dogs, so I do have access to cuttings and seed. I'm just too late this season.  :)

But I do have a question.....Is there a difference between the Golden hop and the plain one, what I mean is....is the Golden one less rampant?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 11:31:19 »
Our golden hop has picked up, I think it was maybe a bit dry. We bought it because it's supposed to be smaller. last year it only got to a foot tall, this year it's about 7 fet tall. We would like it to cover over the top of our seat which is maybe 14 feet, don't know how to take cuttings but if you want one, just let me know how :)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 20:01:29 »
My problem is stopping them growing!

Word of warning! - the reason I want them to stop is because they bring me out in a bad rash evry time I touch them!
Grow yer bugger grow!

star

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 21:41:30 »
I would love to try a golden hop cutting Mal, I thought they may be a tad tamer........well I thought that until Louise stella posted! ;D Its a shame you're allergic Louise, it does spoil enjoying them properly :(

Still it would be nice to try, I want to grow it over a pergola in the corner of the garden.

The wild one is the ordinary one btw  ;)

Perhaps a spring cutting as Claybasket suggested, would be muchly appreciated  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 09:12:01 »
will look it up, Star and wait until spring  :)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 11:56:21 »
They do look nice but you need lots of room for them to climb.  Istill have one but hack it back fiercely to control it and it  still brings me out in a burn like rash werever it touches me.  I have one down the allotment and let that go a bit mad as it's it the wild bit that I don't do much with!
Grow yer bugger grow!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 22:45:29 »
We have a well-established Golden hop...grows 18 foot along an aviary. I have tried taking cuttings for my neigbour with limited success. I did get a low lying bit with a small root...so maybe pinning down lower growth is way to go?
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal