Produce > Under Glass

2nd Hand Greenhouse

(1/6) > >>

loz:
Can anyone help?

I have recently been given a greenhouse (dismantled) without a base.

I was thinking of setting some new (as opposed to old and oily) sleepers in the ground and then bolting the frame to this base. 

Has anyone any better ideas to stop it taking off in the wind? ???

I could set the sleepers in a concrete mix for a firmer base.

Thanks

Loz

Mimi:
My first greenhouse was second hand too Loz, and we had to dismantle it.........what a job!!!!!!!

I suppose that it depends on what the conditions are like where you are going to site the greenhouse.  Where I am is very windy and I have laid a brick base on to a bed of concrete and then bolted the frame to the bricks.  It never moved a centimetre.  Don't know what others do but I have done the same thing with all my greenhouses and never had a problem.  Best of luck.

Chaz Hunter:
The weight of the sleepers on their own should be enough to secure it without the need for concrete; one tip though, buy some new nuts/bolts when you re-assemble the greenhouse as the old ones are likely to shear or the threads tend to strip.

loz:
Thanks guys

I will let you know how I get on

Loz

summergirl:
I've just dismantled one - door to door it took us 5 hrs and it's not even up yet!
It had a plinth, but one side was completely rusted and we had to break the angles at the corner as the bolts were also completely rusted.  Handy dad took the task of repairing and found a local fabricating unit who made 4 corners and one long side for £15.  I thought that was a bargain!
I thought greenhouse just sat on the plinth, didn't think it was bolted down.  Would be a good idea to see if this is possible, I guess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version