Author Topic: 2nd Hand Greenhouse  (Read 9822 times)

loz

• Half Acre
  • See my stuff on www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
2nd Hand Greenhouse
« on: February 04, 2005, 23:03:50 »
Can anyone help?

I have recently been given a greenhouse (dismantled) without a base.

I was thinking of setting some new (as opposed to old and oily) sleepers in the ground and then bolting the frame to this base. 

Has anyone any better ideas to stop it taking off in the wind? ???

I could set the sleepers in a concrete mix for a firmer base.

Thanks

Loz
Horses, ragdolls, bracco italiano, Polands,Silkies, and a garden - when do I have time to eat? - www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: 2nd Hand Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 23:13:44 »
My first greenhouse was second hand too Loz, and we had to dismantle it.........what a job!!!!!!!

I suppose that it depends on what the conditions are like where you are going to site the greenhouse.  Where I am is very windy and I have laid a brick base on to a bed of concrete and then bolted the frame to the bricks.  It never moved a centimetre.  Don't know what others do but I have done the same thing with all my greenhouses and never had a problem.  Best of luck.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Chaz Hunter

• Half Acre
  • Creator of my own little world...
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 09:49:40 »
The weight of the sleepers on their own should be enough to secure it without the need for concrete; one tip though, buy some new nuts/bolts when you re-assemble the greenhouse as the old ones are likely to shear or the threads tend to strip.

loz

• Half Acre
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 22:34:55 »
Thanks guys

I will let you know how I get on

Loz

Horses, ragdolls, bracco italiano, Polands,Silkies, and a garden - when do I have time to eat? - www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk

summergirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 16:47:34 »
I've just dismantled one - door to door it took us 5 hrs and it's not even up yet!
It had a plinth, but one side was completely rusted and we had to break the angles at the corner as the bolts were also completely rusted.  Handy dad took the task of repairing and found a local fabricating unit who made 4 corners and one long side for £15.  I thought that was a bargain!
I thought greenhouse just sat on the plinth, didn't think it was bolted down.  Would be a good idea to see if this is possible, I guess.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 19:25:49 »
Hi

I was lucky last September when I was offered a 'free' greenhouse for the fetching...Imagine my delight to find a 12' x 8' beauty...all green with algae and moss.  ;)

Two of us started at 9.30am and finished moving it at 6.30pm (three trips)

It came with decorative style breeze blocks as a base and a slab path...some of the glass had to be replaced as it was brittle.   

Well its now up and ready to roll

At the same time I was given a 4' x 4' aluminium frame for a greenhouse which with a bit of juggling fitted the end of my existing 8' x 6' making it 12' x 6'

With both Crystal Palaces up and ready for planting I have found this section of the forum inspiring. There have been far too many suggestions for growing in the houses I reckon I won't have enough room already  ;D

Its the start of my third season on the allotment, I had originally a half plot but took on the next door half plot last April... wish I had done all this years ago

One of these days I will discover how to put photographs on the forum...gardening I understand to a degree...computers are totally alien

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

loz

• Half Acre
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 23:27:27 »
More thanks!

At least I'm not alone out there with this task.

I intend to start tomorrow (I said that yesterday, and the day b4).

The sleepers are ordered and the area is marked out, I've now got to start on the jigsaw, I'm sure there will be more bits left when I've finished.

Derek I spose Im lucky that at least the glass is fairly clean, and at least I didn't have to dismantle it like you other guys!

Loz

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 06:26:55 »
Loz

The essence of my previous post was to say how various things can be picked up either cheaply or for nothing just by asking around. I would have willingly paid for the greenhouses but the owners were just too glad to get rid of them.

When the bits and pieces were at the lottie a neighbour told me not to buy any glass as he had plenty and I would be doing him a favour by using it. Another gave me a louvre window and greenhouse heater.

I am a relative newcomer to vegetable gardening (two years) still learning...often the hard way.

The thing that has totally amazed me is the friendliness and generosity of the plot holders. Being a fully paid up member of GOGB (Grumpy Old Git Brigade) I believe that the early fifties mentality still survives on allotments (You can see plenty of evidence to support this on this forum) This was the period when most folk had the time and respect for other people... long may it last

Gosh I'm getting all nostalgic

Derek

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 12:28:11 »
Hi Derek

Wish I had a greenhouse. :'(  I'm learning how to put pics on here too.  Hopefully I should post something soon.  Maybe later as I'm in the midst of seed sowing (Helenium and Gazania)

Tara a bit

Wardy
I came, I saw, I composted

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 18:33:19 »
Hi Wardy

Keep looking and asking...On my travels during work I come across a lot of redundant greenhouses just sitting in gardens...people are often too lazy to advertise them.

My onion sets are going in seed trays this weekend plus a few flowers and maybe tomatoes

'Tara a bit'...that sounds like the area between Wolverhampton and Stafford  ;)

Derek

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 10:00:34 »
Onion sets in seed trays, Derek?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 11:25:23 »
Derek  :)

Derbyshire actually.  I don't think the phrase is local but imported in the dim and distant past.  We are a mixed bag of folk up here but all rub along nicely, especially on the allotment

Tara a bit again

Wardy

PS  I've got a B & Q bag of onion sets in my car where they've been for the past week - no greenhouse or shed so I have to use every available space!   
I came, I saw, I composted

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 13:24:15 »
Yes KK

I know it sounds strange but I am reliably (Hopefully) informed that if you put your sets in trays with some compost the roots generated will stop the birds from lifting them when finally planted out.

In for a penny in for a pound...I'll try anything once

Derek

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 17:25:12 »
Hi

This is my first attempt at pictures...if it works it will be a miracle as I am not sure how I've done it.

Hopefully you will be able to see my two, rather frosty, greenhouses

Derek

loz

• Half Acre
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 22:49:43 »
Cool greenhouses!  (or very ffffrosty)

Onion sets in a seed tray - good idea, I have done mine in the past in modules and then into pots before planting out, extends the growing season.  Works well with garlic especially.

Keep up with the nostalgia, too many people nowadays are too wrapped up in themselves, I think gardeners are amongst the most giving of all sectors of society, second only to poultry keepers   ;D

Loz
« Last Edit: February 15, 2005, 14:04:32 by loz »

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2005, 12:34:44 »
(green envy smiley) love those greenhouses, Derek. wish i had room for more than one!

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2005, 18:10:29 »
kerry

There was one for sale in the Leicester Mercury on Saturday night...price was £80 but with a bit of haggling the price could come down.

Keep your eyes peeled they are often for sale in there.

I have to admit to being excited with the prospect of growing just a bit more than tomatoes and starting plants  this year under glass.

I reckon another trip to the Ryton Organic Centre (between Coventry and Rugby) in a few weeks to get some inspiration is in order.... have you been along to have a look?

Derek

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2005, 22:43:24 »
hi Derek (fellow leicestershire person i see!)
until i acquire an allotment i just can't have another greenhouse unless i take over my neighbour's garden! the one i have now is 6x8, they are never big enough are they? especially as i'm going to try melons this year!

i did look in the mercury originally but ended up buying one from someone in the village for £30-only had to walk to the next road to dismantle it.

ryton-i have been a couple of times, fully intend to go again as i'm a member of the hdra. was going to potato day but had flu.
still, i see they advertise a seed swapping day soon-veggies only. tempting!!

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2005, 18:10:38 »
Hi Kerry

I am on the South side of Leicester my plot is between Oadby and Wigston.

I have been trying to get some of the allotment holders interested in a trip to Ryton...it would be nice to tour the site with like minded folk to bounce ideas around.. maybe even arrange a guided tour.
Trying to get a day which suits everyone is a nightmare

Derek

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2005, 22:24:07 »
Derek, myself towards the north west of leicestershire.

i think if there's something on at ryton we could post on the boards and see if people are going, (this happened for the potato day) we could have an a4a meet up!
it would be good to go with like minded people. as long as my relative inexperience in green matters does not show!  :-[

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal