Author Topic: Aminopyralid  (Read 4202 times)

gp.girl

• Hectare
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: Aminopyralid
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 19:51:45 »
It makes me mad and sad that this is still happening but that apparently nobody has complained to the pesticides people.

When it happened to us, i had lots of great advice from posters on here and persued it all the way though form reporting it to dow , to the government to raising it with my mp to getting the testing kits and finally to having them remove the contaminated manure.

So anyone who is struck by this horrible thing search for the old thread take photos report it and make a stink becuase otherwise Dow will continue to severe the link between stables and organic gardening.

gggrrrr
x sunloving

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 20:00:13 »
My son had some horse manure a few months ago from freecycle and used it on his allotment.  When he described how some of his plants were growing in a strange way I knew it must be contaminated and sent him a link (below) with photos so he could compare .... and his plants looked the same.
http://glallotments.co.uk/ACManure.aspx

It's really upsetting because he tries to garden organically.  I'll tell him to look for the thread on here too.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 13:39:22 »
I've had a problem this year, contacted my MP, he's passed it onto the ACP, we'll ahve to see what comes of it...

chrisc

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 14:39:58 »
Do not hold your breathe. 

A repeat message to test your manure before you spread it out. 

I found a new source and put some in a bucket and grew beans in it.  They and the weeds will soon show if there is a problem.  Actaully in the end the number of weeds coming out the top put me off.

Since they say you can grow wheat on a field after a very short time of spraying I fail to understand why it is not in the wheat.  We have certainly been having problems with compost made of contaminated crops.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 07:49:21 »
Am going to risk getting a load shortly, my soil is crying out for nourishment and not nearly enough compost to cover. No one on my site has had a problem with this chap's manure in the past so fingers crossed.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 07:55:12 »
I would still keep it away from bean and potato area until it is checked out  Still time for a few bean tests.   

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 07:17:44 »
I sow my broad beans in autumn so that should check it out. Someone said that problem has been mainly further north and may relate to different farming practices?

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 07:25:56 »
Chrisscross has been having a problem in Swindon so the problem start far away.  If it gets into the cattle food chain it could move very fast.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 07:42:10 »
I don't understand why the problem causing chemical hasn't been banned?

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 08:05:26 »
I sow my broad beans in autumn so that should check it out. Someone said that problem has been mainly further north and may relate to different farming practices?

My son lives in Harpenden (near Luton) and he has had problems with it.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 08:59:10 »
Am going to risk getting a load shortly, my soil is crying out for nourishment and not nearly enough compost to cover. No one on my site has had a problem with this chap's manure in the past so fingers crossed.

I watched other people using my local farmer's manure for 2 years, however the loads he delivered last spring were all contaminated and if I hadn't worked it out, everyone would have just put it down to a bad year.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 09:58:20 »
The product was withdrawn from a period but the government department allowed its reintroduction even though they had a large number of complaints.  One of the problems now is that the stuff persists in manure heaps for years, so there is a problem differentiating between old contamination and new.  

However I have problems with horse droppings which have been nowhere near old contaminated manure.  

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 10:51:31 »
Our farmer delivers manure.I have grew some test beans on it and they seem fine.Also had a good look around all the plots for any signs,none to see.

It is a new Allotment and I have thought about asking the farmer but as I hardly know him not sure how to approach it.Don't want to upset him but am I being too polite ??

Notice in our contract no manure to be bought in so maybe he is aware.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 06:25:36 »
Might be worth asking him if that's why manure can't be bought in, don't think that would be offensive and would be quite interesting as he's on the other side so to speak.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 09:46:21 »
Spoke to the farmer yesterday and no he is not aware :-X

Asked if he was on line and this caused great laughs fom his mate who infomed me he did not even know how to switch one on so have decided to take the bull by the horns and print something off for him.

Eveything I read seems so complicated can anyone point me to any web pages that have a fairly straight forward explanation of this please.

aj

• Hectare

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 11:31:24 »
Thanks fo your time AJ but really looking for more of an information paper than talk of taking people to court............ :)

Linnea

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 11:52:47 »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 12:00:15 »
Thanks so much  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal