Author Topic: The biggest tomato..  (Read 4279 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: The biggest tomato..
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 13:51:03 »
I've got 'funny' looking 'plum' type tomato that I growing out of proportions.. ::) It has just started to ripen so I'll be taking a photo of that on scales soon.. ;D I could not fit even half of one in a tin.. ::)
Watch this space..

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 18:34:15 »
mmm, lots of good ideas here XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 19:00:25 »
Biggest ever was 2lbs 4oz from Jumbo Tom, now named Supersteak I believe, biggest this year has been a 1lb 3oz Black Krim.... that's enormous for a Krim in my experience, usually they're a lot earlier but smaller than this year.... this year they're huge (had another one at the pound mark and another two on the same truss look like they're about there too, normally don't expect anything much over 8oz of a krim).... A variety I call "Giant Spanish Red" seems to be putting up some monsters too.... got it frmo ebay a couple of years ago and it does what it says on the tin... they're very big, the plant puts out a fair number of them (it's a pretty aggressive vine) but it is rather late.... it's stablemate "Giant Spanish Yellow" is one of the tasitiest coooked tomatoes I've ever had BTW..... even stood next to Heinz though flavour different it was gorgeous...

chrisc

Grew Krims for the first time this year and although they are not big (maybe 7or 8 oz tops) they are bloody lovely and they look great sliced on a plate.  Easy to grow too.  I tried Giant Spanish Yellow last year without much success - very few toms - big but only a few on a plant..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 21:40:45 »
A Kilo+ tomato, lovely Saddad  :)

Jeannine, I'm sorry can’t help on how to grow a big-un but I saved some seed from the large/king fruit Mazarini, you are welcome to seed (or one of the regular fruit) Also if they are of interest I have a few of Medwyn’s Tomato giant PG Selection, Spanish Giant (originally seed swapped with Chriscross) and Giant Belgium.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 22:08:24 »
Thanks, Jay, I would love the Medwyns one and the Mazarini please, I have Giant Belguiim and can't find any info on Spanish Giant..

I have had a couple of offers from the Us too for some biggies so I am gonna knock this blown up geezer off the map!! How is that for confidence..I went down the river on a raft, I can conquer the world!!!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 00:20:50 »
I'm afraid I haven't got any advice or seeds to offer  :-[
but I'm happy to cheerlead  :D
Go,go,go Jeannine
grow the biggest tomato he's ever seen
and show him you're the growing queen
Goooooo Jeannine!
 ;D ;D ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 04:35:26 »
Wow Elsie, do you have the costume and the legs too. ::)

Actually don't tell but I bought two huge tomatoes today from a farm store, I have no idea what they are but I thought I would take a picture on the scales as back up and save it for next year.. just in case. Just weighed them. 16.5 ozs and 19.2 ozs.Actually I thought they would weigh more than that.

I think I have a long way to go.. I guess cheating doesn't pay off. Of course I could put some of my lead quilting weights behind them...mm

Maybe I should keep the seeds. I have no idea what they taste like as I haven't done the pictures yet so haven't cut them. LOL

XX Jeannine

XX Jeannine

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 08:09:08 »
Suppose it is standard practice to limit the amount of fruit on plant or at least on truss to let the plant consentrate all its effords for that one biggie.
My big one is almost ripe.. ;D...its not huge to compare what beeftomatoes can grow to but as this one being paste/canning (or something like it..won't know for sure untill I've cut into it)...it is ridiculously big for that sort.. ;D
And the biggest fruit is on truss that I clumsily 'bumbed' into and knocked the fruit off..part the now biggie.
All other fruit on plant are big too but nothing like that the one.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 21:53:08 »

Grew Krims for the first time this year and although they are not big (maybe 7or 8 oz tops) they are bloody lovely and they look great sliced on a plate.  Easy to grow too.  I tried Giant Spanish Yellow last year without much success - very few toms - big but only a few on a plant..

Hmm... that sounds like the Krims I know :-).... that said, not minding it, I'll save some seeds from that plant for definite... GSY is defintiely an indoor plant in this country IMHO, I never had much luck with them outdoors last year adn didn't bother this.... though a friend of mine has and reports that they are very tasty grilled.....

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 18:27:03 »
Code: [Select]
I've got 'funny' looking 'plum' type tomato that I growing out of proportions.. It has just started to ripen so I'll be taking a photo of that on scales soon.. I could not fit even half of one in a tin.. Here we are..not biggest in the world..but certainly over grown for its type.. ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 21:28:12 »
Thanks for the Giant Spannish Yellow info Chris. I grew it I think last year, but it wasn't in the best location. I'll try again maybe next year and give it a little more tlc.

Lovely looking tom G'life  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 22:06:58 »
Hi, I can't quite see the size because of the reflection and what variety is it.

XX Jeannine

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 23:08:13 »
It is 514 grams and variety is Mexicaine

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 06:47:39 »
Here is another photo...the one in the left is how this tomato should ideally look...pimento type.
Perharps the the podgie one had all the pies.. ;D
Should we have biggest/heaviest tomato competition next year?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 19:50:43 »
 Yes we definatley should, I just need to beat the ickle nastie on our gardens but it would be fun to be cheered on with a compie on here.

Need to post it soon as some folks may wish to start early of even look for or share  seeds.. I will put a post on

XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal