Author Topic: Squashes - do I remove leaves now?  (Read 1212 times)

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
Squashes - do I remove leaves now?
« on: August 29, 2011, 16:24:17 »
Am I supposed to be removing the leaves of my various squash plants to let the sun (hahaha) at them to ripen?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Squashes - do I remove leaves now?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 17:42:28 »
No, no need mine just ramble XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 19:10:31 »
thanks tho we live in NE England..not much sun here at the moment

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 19:26:10 »
I lived in Yorkshire for several years and grew squash there. Here I am surrounded by feilds of it, it is planted and never pruned. Some folks do but I never have unless it was to remove the leader.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 16:41:18 »
No need to prune the leaves. Just leave them to find the sun.... what little we have at the mo in the NW.. Mine on my roof are about done now so all the leaves have almost died off and leaveing the squashes open to the sun rain!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 16:48:30 »
I'm in the south and the sun's missing here too.

My plants need another month of summer (as we've hardly had any this year) in order to produce enough ripe fruit.  :(

The leaves are staying put for now.... every one of them needed to push some energy into those fruit.
In a couple of weeks time I will chop off all the fruit that looks too small to ripen into anything useful.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 17:01:59 »
The leaves on the Australian Butter squash are wilting for some unknown reason - but two good sized fruit ripening up nicely. All other varieties growing well in the cool weather, but not many fruit this year. Butternuts are doing better although most of the fruit are still quite small.

Hey ho! maybe September will give us some late warmth  :).

Tricia

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal