Author Topic: Disintregating Potatoes  (Read 3666 times)

Pescador

• Hectare
Disintregating Potatoes
« on: August 28, 2011, 20:39:43 »
This year I have grown International Kidney, Kerrs Pink, Fir Apple and Desiree, and, apart from the Fir Apple they all are presenting the same problem in the kitchen.
When they are boiled, the outer layers cook, and fall away very quickly, while the middle is still virtually raw.

I have tried putting the in cold water and bring to the boil, or into boiling water and back to the boil.
Freshly dug, or stored for a couple of weeks, the results are the same.
Purchased spuds from the local market, or supermarket present no problem.

My theory is that, with the very dry season we have had, the plant puts down a higher percentage of dry matter in the tuber, which when exposed to the cooking water, absorbs water rapidly in the outer layers. These then cook normally, but mor rapidly than the inner part which has not yet absorbed the water.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem, or has any explanation?
If I can't find a solution to the cooking, or a reason for it, I will have to chuck 200kg of lovely spuds!! 
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

TividaleJo

• Quarter Acre
Re: Disintregating Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 20:43:37 »
We have had the same problem with our king edwards and my in laws with all the varieties they put in - dont know what they were.
We have found that if we steam them then they are fine and taste much better

Jo x
Joanne

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 21:06:04 »
i've thought the same or similar, and not just this year. Charlottes, for instance. . I thought - shop bought, more water, better transmission of heat to the centre, more even cooking........

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 21:12:09 »
I only grow waxy potatoes - Charlotte and Juliette cooked so far and despite steaming they tend to be a bit floury  - however they are wonderful when fried ;D

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 21:17:50 »
I have found that they seem to boil into the water. At first they are not cooked through and then within a short space of time, they turn into mush. I am unsure of the variety as I got a few different ones and then never bothered to mark where they were planted. As usual I left it late to get them in then it was a rush job!!!

Is this the problem you are describing?

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 21:23:41 »
I usually steam them as that helps with this problem.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 21:30:30 »
I've had exactly the same problem with Home Guard, Rocket, Red Duke of York, Maris Bard and Kestrel. Charlotte are the best so far though they are nothing like as nice as last year. We have had virtually no rain this summer and I haven't watered, so I just assumed like you that it was a weather problem. I foresee a great deal of mash being eaten here this winter.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 21:32:50 »
My Charlotte & Kestrel have been fine.  But had this problem with Orla which was my trial spud for this year.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 22:44:39 »
We never boil any potatoes- another thing to try is cutting up into small pieces -that way they cook quicker and  evenly so don't get chance to fall apart.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 23:09:10 »
We never boil any potatoes- another thing to try is cutting up into small pieces -that way they cook quicker and  evenly so don't get chance to fall apart.

This (cutting into small chunks) and either steaming or cooking in the microwave which obviously cooks quicker might help.

So far my tatties have been fine. (2 rows out of 6 dug so far)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 08:27:44 »
After reading Delia tip never boiled potatoes in water again - they are far better steamed, whether you're going to have them plain, mashed, fried, whatever ... So are most veg. I guess you're keeping in all the flavour rather than losing it in the water. Buying a 2 layer steamer was one of my best investments.

offshore1

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 13:22:21 »
Last year I grew Anya for the first time and  had a good crop  -  a bit like pink fir apple without all the knobs - excellent flavour, very firm and waxy when cooked.  Tried them again this year -   to all appearances the same except when cooked they  crumble to mush almost instantly.  Grown on the same allotment from seed I saved.  I can only conclude that the different weather this year  has brought about the change in character, for these and the other varieties detailed above. In our location there has been much  more rain than last year, although other people have had drier weather and still the same problem.   I'm puzzled.......

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 14:58:33 »
 was gong to start a thread on this subject myself.I have never had such a big crop of potatoes like this year.Pentland Crown.lots of them......and they are an "all round" potato too.....but mine fall apart too  :(....and they are full of brown/black spots.....rust I think....very disappointing!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 16:47:25 »
I watered my spuds every other day during the very hot times here in Kent & I also didnt earth up with soil this year but used grass cuttings instead & none of mine are crumbling when boiled. I planted charlotte, kestral & pink fir apple. So it does sound like the problem may be lack of water.

For everyone who has these 'floury' spuds mash can be frozen very successsfully. Also how about making lots of creamed/blened soups that use potatoes & then freezing in batches? Would be a great shame to waste the spuds x Jane
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 17:16:39 by Crystalmoon »

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 16:57:51 »
Potato cakes?

When I made these I had to hunt for floury potatoes. I'm not suggesting turning all your crop into them but they are quite nice cooked on a griddle. Floury potato pushed through a sieve, mixed with plain flour and flattened into round "cakes".
I haven't got the recipe to hand but I'd guess you could find one easily enough.

(Did they have butter in them or egg? Can't remember.)  ::)

Worth a thought perhaps.  ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 17:12:34 »
Same trouble here. Charlotte is usually trouble free crop for me..but they crumble, even in steamer.
So far steaming slooow and gently has managed to keep them almost in one piece.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 17:34:57 »
I have the very same problem with my cara maincrop. One minute they look done and the outside is fine but the inside is undercooked, a couple of minutes later they are only suitable for mashing. The still make good wedges, cooked in the oven and are ok steamed but still tend to fall apart. Lady christi and charlotte were excellent but they were out of the ground much earlier

My first time growing potatoes on the allotment and the crop looks great but I won`t be growing cara next year because it is so soft when boiled. Perhaps I won`t grow any maincrop after reading the above posts

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 19:08:45 »
I never have this problem as I microwave all potatoes. Keeps all the goodness and taste in the potato as well.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 21:01:17 »
Very interesting replies, and to see that I'm not alone!

However the reply from Offshore, who has had a wet season, seems to contradict my theory, even though many other answers seem to back it up.

I will try steaming. I don't like cooking potatoes in the micrwave as I find they take on a very distinct flavour
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 23:11:18 »

I will try steaming. I don't like cooking potatoes in the microwave as I find they take on a very distinct flavour

I've not had this problem cooking for my elderly parents. I cut them into chunks, place them in a small lidded clear-plastic microwave pot and cover them completelywith water . About 7 to 8 mins on full and they are done.

At home we steam them as more are needed so the microwave isn't suitable.

I wish you luck - don't give up on them... personally I love mashed potato if all else fails.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal