Author Topic: Buying a bicycle  (Read 5305 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Buying a bicycle
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 10:53:33 »
Georgie - basically what everyone else has said!  I love my bike and riding in London can be a great pleasure if you take it easy!
You are in Enfield?? 
You can try this shop http://www.topriders-cycles.co.uk/
It's got a good rep and is local to you..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 17:03:58 »
Bits and pieces for a new bike?

Georgie I've just spotted these advertised for sale from 5th Sept:
  • air cushion saddle (£9.99)
  • Pannier set (£16.99)
  • Helmet (£9.99)

I've no idea if there's a Lidl near you or what the quality is like but it might be worth investigating.

I hope it's OK to name a retailer on here? Some of their products are fine.  ;)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 19:54:26 »
Wow thank you everyone for so much considered, helpful advice, I really appreciate it.  :)

Thank you in particular for the advice to avoid the 'H shop' and for the link to my nearest stockist, as well as the tips about getting a light frame, a gel seat and puncture resistant tyres - the last three would never have occurred to me!

I'm going to write down all this info and then I'll start looking around.  Just one more question if I may.  Only one person has mentioned price and I rather expected to pay in the region of £400 to £500 including the obvious basic accessories such as basket, pump and lights.  Is this reasonable?

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 20:07:53 »
Yes, £400 - £500 is about right.  Something like the Giant Escape City 2, around £425.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 20:19:20 »
Good luck G and please take care.

I would love a bike but live so close to work and town I walk most of the time.

Fast busy main road to the lottie so don't fancy that.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 22:48:50 »
I guess the price range you have in mind is about right but I wouldn't go for anything dearer than you need. Too higher specs make the bike just too attractive to thieves.

Light, comfortable, serviceable and rugged. If you buy from a local supplier/outlet then you know that if you need spare parts in a few years time they will be available locally.

Please do let us know what you choose once you make your mind up.
Above all - stay safe.  ;)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 22:08:31 »
Seriously, do wear a helmet, and invest in some decent cycling gloves too.

This was me a couple of years ago - 'D' lock mounted on the front fork worked lose and got caught in the front wheel - bike stopped and I didn't.  I was lucky to get away with just a few stitches in my ear.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 16:54:09 »
good wink, Simon!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

staris

• Acre
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 00:04:47 »
for that price you should be able to get yourself a nice quality bike , try and get a 2011 bike as the 2012 bikes are coming out now and you should be able to get one a bit cheaper.
there won't be any real changes in the 2012 bikes other than colour.
best makes i would say in no particular order, specialized, giant, trek, marin , i repair and service these bikes on a daily basis and they are all very good and have very good warranty's.
if you need a better quality saddle buy a gel saddle and not a gel cover as they tend to slid around.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 21:28:43 »
Seriously, do wear a helmet, and invest in some decent cycling gloves too.

This was me a couple of years ago - 'D' lock mounted on the front fork worked lose and got caught in the front wheel - bike stopped and I didn't.  I was lucky to get away with just a few stitches in my ear.

Er, shouldn't this post be on the 'dating' part of the forum?  ;)  ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

schmelda

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 21:51:11 »
I also am looking at buying a bike.  I've been eyeing up this one: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/willow-one-womens-mountain-bike-ec027474#sizing , and have ordered the right size into store so that I can have a test ride.

I primarily wanted to cycle to work, though wanted the option to take it off road with friends on occasion.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 22:29:02 »
That was before the accident, you should have seen me after. :D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 23:38:32 »
I also am looking at buying a bike.  I've been eyeing up this one: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/willow-one-womens-mountain-bike-ec027474#sizing , and have ordered the right size into store so that I can have a test ride.

I primarily wanted to cycle to work, though wanted the option to take it off road with friends on occasion.

Looks pretty good to me but riding it will tell you whether it's right for you or not.

If you do go ahead and buy this one see if you can get a good deal on accessories. I guess you will need mudguards (front & rear), lights (LED front & rear as well as a standard or halogen front light) and maybe a rear carrier and a decent lock. You should also be offered a 1st Service which is well worth having once you've ridden the bike for a while.

Great to see people getting on their bikes.  ;)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011, 21:36:34 »
That was before the accident, you should have seen me after. :D

ROFL  ;D

G x

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2011, 21:44:57 »
The mind boggles ;) ;D.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 00:05:07 »
Having just driven back from Holland today after spending a week holidaying at a Dutch Centre Parcs, I can honestly say I never want to perch on another bike as long as I live....I still can't walk properly! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2011, 11:14:32 »

If you get that bike then I would get yourself a set of road tyres.  Mountain bikes are for riding on trails and dirt tracks - the tyres accordingly are for mud and very knobbly.  It is much easier to ride on proper road tyres - smother and faster (or less tiring).  Just change tyres when you go off road.
Personally I would buy a hybrid type bike - good for riding around town but capable of going off road (nothing too serious) when required. Of course it depends on how much and what sort of off road you do..
Maybe something like this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sirrus-sport-2011-hybrid-bike-ec023997 - I have a similar thing and I just bung some off road tyres on for riding on trails etc...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2011, 11:30:43 »
Before we did two cycling holidays in Germany and Hungary, I bought cycling shorts, padded, from Halfords, might still have them somewhere.  My friend who cycles a lot, has always bought second hand bikes, cheap, and then they don't get stolen.  Might be a good idea to get a second hand one and see if you like cycling, too dangerous on the busy roads.  My Sydney bike is OK, but for ever getting punctures when I go to the allotment, think it is the bramble thorns that do the tyres in, and don't seem to be able to get them replaced with thicker tyres.  Loaded it up with so much shopping yesterday that I had to push it home as the panniers were overloaded and the front wheel was up in the air, but at least I didn't have to carry the shopping home, or take a old ladies shopping trolley.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2011, 11:56:27 »
Borlotti please do consider a cycle trailer. They are safer than over-loading handle-bars and hold a ton more than panniers.

There's several types and, once you paid the original cost, they save a bomb in delivery charges for all sorts of things supplied locally. Great for the plot too.  ;)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 12:45:27 »
Good idea, never thought of that.  Don't normally do such a big shop, but have grandchildren staying and they eat a lot.  ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal