Author Topic: TPS without the hassle?  (Read 2306 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
TPS without the hassle?
« on: August 16, 2011, 03:11:20 »
Does anyone want to takle on one of my TPS strains for a year or two?... Basically I've grown about a dozen plants this year from seed. One of them has finished very quickly from the Ratte parent line. THere are three small (indeed mini) tubers. I'm guessing the fast  lifestyle indicates that this is a first early. THe tuber shape appears ellongate but not knobbly like a Ratte adn it has a few pink splashes...... I'd like someone else to grow them next year and hold the strain as adoptive parent as it were.... I'd appreciate a few back at some point too if possible... I just won'#t have time to play with experimental earlies next year adn I expect I'll concentrate on the Russian Blue lines too, but the possibility of a first early with Ratte taste characteristics is too good to allow to dissappear.

You get to name it too.....

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: TPS without the hassle?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 12:02:43 »
A good offer Chris, mine are all still in the ground. I did have had a bit of a firkle and the ones I tried were absolutly delish. Hope someone takes you up on this, a brand new potato variety  in the making :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 00:02:15 »
tempting but I'm trying to cut back on my spuds!

One plan (of many) is to save some spuds from my TPS Howie Mandel to plant next year,a s well as seeds. Could I be cheeky and ask to be a reserve, in case mine don't make it through the winter? Happy to share some if mine do make it  :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:13:03 »
Please can you explain what is involved.
I expected there to be loads of offers, I love growing spuds and if it is a case of growing tuburs on and then saving them I am competent (I hope!!!)
If need to save seed to continue the line - well this is my first year "bagging" tomatoes and beans so I may not be trustworthy yet. :-\ :-\ :-\

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:31:32 »
Chris..if you want just tuber growing..I'm up to it..I've got some BIG buckets spare that I'm usually growing my potatoes in for earliers..so they would get more protected environment than in ground.
And if you need a new name for you spuds..that's no problem neither..as soon as I saw you mention naming bit..something popped to my mind instantly...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:34:57 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:35:56 »
...shan't say nothing yet of that idea... ;D ;D ;D ;) ;D ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 09:30:35 »
ooo you are a tease goodie  ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 12:03:27 »
Hi folks,
sorry for hiatus, I was at a festival without internet access...

No bagging required, it is just growing on the micro tubers from this year adn  seeing if we get anythgin useful from it. It might be a useless runt, it might be soemthing pointless (ie a perfectly normal potato with no outstanding features) and it might be what I'm hoping it is which is an early salad potato, a Ratte based version of Anya for instance....

There might well be others coming through now, some of the other Ratte adn Russian BLues look interesting and I haven't got space to keep them all going myself.....

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 13:07:14 »
Just tell us when and what to do Chris, 

I can send SAE if you pm me address and an idea how much postage will be and ? jiffy padded envelope

Anne

martinburo

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 16:45:28 »
I'd be happy to adopt an early potato and return them with interest in a year or two.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 17:37:47 »
OK pumkinlover sort of "wins" if you acn PM me an address the three microtubers are yours, martin and 1066 I'll keep you guys on the book as it looks like I've got a lot of other strains that will be looking for a home if they prove to be interesting.... Most of the Ratte don't look to be doing anythign (though if one is seriously round-tubered it might be fun), but the strains coming frmo the Russian Blue migt hold some hope...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal