Author Topic: Wyevale's 50p Seed Sale .....  (Read 11084 times)

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
Re: Wyevale's 50p Seed Sale .....
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 20:27:43 »
Ahhh but did you go skip diving  ;D 
I found 6 trays of pansys that just needed dead heading on a trolley waiting to go in the skip they are sat otside, had a feed, picked them over and i have 6 trays of lovely plants freeeeeeeeeeee   ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 12:16:26 »
Came back from hols and found the Wyvales newsletter on the doormat telling me the 50p sale had started on the 2nd :o.......went yesterday expecting little left, but there was a vast tray full of seed packets, and best of all lots of Franchi seeds! Joy!  :D

Tried to be good and made a list before I went of what I really needed, then did my usual and went a bit bonkers...where am I really going to grow purple artichokes!! ::)

Ended up buying 38 packets for £18, cucumbers were the best buy at over £4 a packet usually. One happy bunny, that is nearly all my needs for next year taken care of! ;D ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 19:05:14 »

Ended up buying 38 packets for £18, cucumbers were the best buy at over £4 a packet usually. One happy bunny, that is nearly all my needs for next year taken care of! ;D ;D

Ahhh, cucumbers. Don't know where they're hiding their cuc seeds at my local W'vale on Sat. but I trawled and had 0 result :'( And they're SO expensive for the ones I want - Cucino - £4+ for FOUR seeds? (we need a fainting-couch emoticon)  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 20:51:51 »
Managed to spend just £12....  :-X

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 08:20:44 »
You weren't alone then ;D ;D ;D.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 09:52:59 »
If you have a "The Works" discount book store...
they have Johnson's / Fothergills seeds at 25p per packet....
 :-X

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 10:18:07 »
Code: [Select]
they have Johnson's / Fothergills seeds at 25p per packet.... OH NO.. ::)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 11:55:08 »
Crikey almost missed it this year.

Yes another 39 packs of seeds, bargain had to be the little sacks of Broad Bean seeds that would normally have been £7-99!

Howvere, IMHO anyone who would give messrs T & M £7-99 for a half pint of Broad  Beans would need their heads read.

Total list price around £96, mine for £17, happy days...
Best laid plans and all that

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 14:02:21 »
I love wyevales spent £4 on seeds got £22 worth and 2 big tubs of chicken pellets love them.

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 15:30:45 »
 :'(  went to my local wyevale's and they had but all sold out unless you wanted flowers or really strange veg, only found 2 packets of toms that was it.... :( :(

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 17:45:27 »
Swindon still had them on the racks but at Cheltenham it was a right mess very dfficult to find anything, but they did have completely different things on offer.  Now you know I am a real seedoholic when I go to two different branches. ;D

Got one of the T&M nets last year and found they did not want to germinate, just ended up with a mould mess.  Got a Franchi packet of Broadies will be interesting to see if they go through the winter with an autumn sowing.  Also got some expensive cues, and a collection of sweet peas and some spring cabbage which have gone straight into the ground.  If they do not work I will have the rest of the packet next year.  And I got a £5 packet of hellebores so I will not be too upset when nothing comes up.  Must put them outside soon to overwinter.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 09:03:16 »
Can never see the point in trying to overwinter Broad Beans.  The times that I have done I find the spring sowing easily catches up with the miserable specimens that have made it through.
Best laid plans and all that

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2011, 09:36:50 »
Went to our local wyvales and got 9 pkts of seed. We saw some runner beans at a veggie show last month when I asked what variety they were I was told they were Wisley Magic. I have never seen such a perfect bean. Of course we got some and the Shirley toms.
I also got some climbing french beans Matilda just cos I liked the name. Picked up what I thought was either a sunshine or red kuri sqash only to find when I got home that it was a mars pumpkin.
I am sure someone will want them.
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 10:47:24 »
You can never have enough seeds PP. We have a good swap section on here.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 23:44:14 »
I had a good poke round the Oxfor done at lunchtime.... 38 packs.... cucmbers, assorted beany things, sweet peppers, some Losetto tomatoes, couple of onion thingies.... missing two things I was searching for though, Sungold tomatoes and Prisma shallots... looks like they've been withdrawn, just when I find a place they grow well.... Got some carrots too, though I reckon my carrot breakthrough this year is down to the woerdly gritty topsoil we have round here rather than any newly discovered competance on my part

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 00:57:18 »
I love wyevales spent £4 on seeds got £22 worth and 2 big tubs of chicken pellets love them.

Were the tubs of chicken manure pellets any cheaper?

Around here very few people seemed to have heard of it 12 years ago and it was good value for money. Now it's popular with growers the price has rocketted.  :(

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 07:18:20 »
The chicken pellets were 10kg tubs £12.99 BOGOF.

Must admit, I bought but even then it is not cheap.

JTF Warehouse do a 15kg bag for 4.99 + VAT.  Never tried them from there but that looks to be the best price for bagged stuff.

Some of the seeds, like Sungold, sold out in the half price sale.  Same with the Prisma probably.  But Wyevale seeds are usually half price in January so perhaps another visit needs to be diarised?  ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 10:26:50 »
I got the last packet of Sungold in Swindon Chriss and that was hidden in the middle of the rhubarb.

I only bought a few things like spring cabbage when they were half price for summer sowing this year, except I lost them and now it is too late.

The January offer is much better since it is the new seasons stock, I am not convinced that the high temperatures in some garden centres help the viability of the seed.  The Cheltenham Wyevale (Blooms) is sometimes like a bake oven.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 11:18:44 »
The chicken pellets were 10kg tubs £12.99 BOGOF.

Must admit, I bought but even then it is not cheap.

JTF Warehouse do a 15kg bag for 4.99 + VAT.  Never tried them from there but that looks to be the best price for bagged stuff.

Thanks Ellen for the tip. I'll keep searching.... it sure has gone up in price over the years.  :(

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2011, 11:50:36 »
I forgot !! woops

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal