Author Topic: I'm giving up!  (Read 10992 times)

Mark S

• Quarter Acre
I'm giving up!
« on: August 25, 2011, 22:52:18 »
Got as afr as two pumpkins, both about golf ball size, and the flowers just about to open.
They did just start to open, but have now been eaten by slugs!!
I have no idea if the flowers opened enough for any bees to pollinate them.
Is it worth me keeping them going, or shall I chop it down and consign it to the compost heap?

betula

• Hectare
Re: I'm giving up!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 23:51:32 »
I have never had much luck with them so know how you feel  :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 01:29:14 »
I don't think there's much time left for a pumpkin to make fruit now.  :(

If you don't need the space for anything else it wouldn't hurt to leave it where it is until the autumn - you never know. Either way it'll be a bit more to add to the compost heap later.

Try again next year.  ;)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:45:10 »
Its been a bad year Mark and given the time of year and wet weather to come I guess Aden Roller is might be right. 

My plant has done well as it was undercover until it vined out to about 6' long whereas all my other squash were dwarfed and produced less than expected as everytime a female opended it rained.

Apart from the weather the key is in the soil.  You could always get a good head start on next year.  Get some manure and compost on the ground and sow a cover crop of green manure such as grazing rye or winter tares.  Great for enriching the soil and sucking up excess nutrients to be kept for the next crop.  Rye grows throughout the winter and sucks up to 90% of remaining Nitrogen and winter tares fixes Nitrogen.  Sow them now and they will supress weeds so that come spring you will not have to weed the patch but you will have to turn the soil to dig in the cover crop.

I have already started on next years patch.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 11:53:42 »
Its been a bad year Mark and given the time of year and wet weather to come I guess Aden Roller is might be right. 

..................... snip...............

I have already started on next years patch.

That's why I come here.  ;)

Good results mean we can't wait for the next season to try again.
Poor results have the same effect, but with added determination.  8)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 12:43:51 »
You know only today was I thinking about giving my squash and pumpkin patch a bit of cover, to help them get big enough early on in the season. So am interested to read what you say Dandytown

Some of mine are ok, others, well I'm not holding my breath. Funny year weather-wise!

10  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 12:51:03 »
My squashes and pumpking were planted later than I usually do..first they didn't produce any female flowers and I was starting to get bit desperate..
But..things have gone really well...even with the drought.
Some I've been hand pollinating and others I have left to bees..and every plant have done really well.
I've got several fruits on every one..and I'm living in hope they will make it before the autumn sets in.
I've got water barrels next to the squash patch..and I've put seaweed solution and chicken pellets into the water..every other day I give good half to full watering can full of water per plant..and I've managed to keep the plants growing really well.
We've finally had some proper rain last few days..just prior to that I scattered more chicken pellets about..so hopefully with the aid of the rain all those laterals will push some roots in and aid the feeding of the fruit.
It been 'funny' growing year.. ::)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 13:23:05 »
I agree with you Goodlife that the plants have picked up recently and put out a few more fruit for me.  We are in the same region.  I just started using sea-weed yesterday in an effort to give the big one a little more va va voom.

1066:  here's the cover I had on my big one

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryViewOne.asp?eid=157727

i just knocked it up with what I could rustle up from the shed.  It did the job but I could really do with the cover both  now and probably for the nights for the whole season.

I am looking to build a frame for a 600' patch for next year.  I will staple some builders plastic on and then take off at the end of the october and just hope that it doesnt get too brittle and end up all over the plot.  Should be okay for 6 months.  I can not really afford the proper cover and kids would only throw stones at it.  Cheap and cheerfull although the frame will cost.

I will definatelty be using cloches on my squash next year.

I have more than one plant of each and they have performed differently at different locations.

Spaghetti Squash: 3 plants with 4-5 on each.  This plant has excelled.
Bon Bon: 2 plants climbing, 2 and 3 fruits - good size, lots didnt make it
Thelma Sanders:  1 plant, very late start but 5+ fruits
Tuffy Sweet:  As above but 6+ fruits
Hooligan: 3 plants giving 9, 1 and 4 fruits respectively
Pienna di napoli - 1 plant with two fruit that could still abort
Tromba di albenga - 2 plants - 1 week and 1 getting stronger with one good fruit and maybe more to come
butternut - no fruit yet but vining well. v.slow start
delicata - very slow start with 1 good fruit and maybe another coming
uchiki kuri - tiny plant with one tiny fruit but picking up
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 13:30:18 by Dandytown »

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 17:48:28 »
thanks for the photo, I'm going to try and make a note to myself to give them some protection, next year when I plant them out.
The one I'd like to see ripen is an Australian Butter, it needs a loooong season, I  just hope Sept/Oct perk up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal