Author Topic: apple pleeler and corer  (Read 1955 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
apple pleeler and corer
« on: August 30, 2011, 19:29:44 »
A machine which does this was mentioned in the Telegraph and I wonder if anyone has one.  Do they work?  I would love some help with all the apples I plan to freeze etc..

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: apple pleeler and corer
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 20:06:36 »
I have one, there are many about some cheap and others more expensive, mine is quite robust and does a good job if the apple is good and round, misses bits if it is an odd shape. Hve toi ne honest I haven't used it for a while, I did when we processed baskets of apples but these days I enjpoy peeling them on  a tray on my lap  .

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:05:02 »
Thanks Jeannine.  Will have to think about it.  I was hoping it would speed things up.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 12:33:54 »
Do you mean this??

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 13:59:18 »
I've had one for several years which I happened to buy in Tasmania, and it gets red hot in the apple season. It is SO quick and helpful. It cannot deal with distorted or huge or tiny apples, but the bulk of them are clean and ready to eat or freeze or cook in a few seconds each.

I got a second one for a grandchild (they are rather amusing to use, and he loves it) from Lakeland which turns out to be more flimsy and not quite so easy to use. If you look at http://www.lakeland.co.uk/13181/Apple-Master you will see a varied set of reviews. I find I have to hold the corer in place and sometimes lean on the peeler a bit while he turns the handle.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 14:08:27 »
Thanks Tim.  That is what I am looking at.
Artichoke does these look stronger than the Lakeland one?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 15:45:17 »
And it's a bright new idea??

We had one of those in 1934!!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 18:40:11 »
They did say in the Tasmanian Apple Museum that they had had theirs for many decades. Theirs took about 10 apples on separate prongs, swift turn of a huge handle, and out sprang the sliced apples. They laid the rings (quick chop down one side) onto the surface of their woodburner, and we had dried roasted apple rings to chew in minutes. Irresistable, so I bought two of their single prong ones.

I'm sorry, Tomatoada, the Telegraph reference doesn't work for me at the moment. If you look at the Lakeland one and find something slightly longer, that would be more like the one I have.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal