Author Topic: When partners go away ...  (Read 6838 times)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
When partners go away ...
« on: August 25, 2011, 11:41:32 »
... sounds like one of those tv shows!

This morning my husband has had to go off on a 10 day work trip to Cyprus.  It really gets me down.  I (we) never get used to it and always become upset on the lead up and especially the night before!

He then has to fly off to the States in November, thankfully that's only for a few days and then in spring, back to Cyprus again. 

I know people will think I'm silly because it's only 10 days and it will soon pass etc etc but I still don't like it and I'm feeling fed up today!!  I'll be back at work tomorrow so at least I'll be occupied until I get home in the evening, lol.

Still .... I do have free reign with the bank account in that time ...  ;D

betula

• Hectare
Re: When partners go away ...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:56:01 »
Have had a lot of experience of this in the past and it always used to break my heart but there are certain advantages

Being able to read in bed for as long as you like

Also have the radio on while doing above

Doing exactly what you want to do........LOL

Keep occupied and the time will fly with lots of fresh stuff to talk about when he gets back.

Lovely to be in love LOL   ;D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 11:57:35 »
And you can spread all your seed packets on the floor and on the settee just to look at them (as seedaholics must!)  ;D

No seriously, I sympathise with you, as my hubby is off to foreign parts a lot.  The worst was when he was off for 6 weeks, 2 days at home then off for another 6 weeks.  At the end of that our daughter, then aged 3, would not talk to him anymore for several days!

Well we look forward to chatting more with you if you are bored.  Also I hope that  your household whitegoods don't pack up, the house alarm does not go into a permanent 'ON' mode, the car doesn't bust a clutch cable and all the other things that tend to go wrong here, as soon as I come back from taking him to the airport.  Or that free reign in financial matters will come in very handy  ;D ;D ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:25:55 »
SamLouise I won't let my OH know what you've said.... she'll be jealous!!  ;D

I took early retirement about 2 years ago as my parents are very elderly so I act as full-time carer. My OH has been brilliantly supportive in all sorts of ways but....

I think there are times when we would both enjoy a bit more personal space even if we are rarely in at the same time.

Just think.. a choice of any tv or radio programme, come and go as you please without needing to leave notes: "Gone to *** Back at ***" eat what you like when you like and not at all if you don't want to. The house and garden are all yours for a few days. Chill out!!  ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 12:52:24 »
....I do hope you sent him away with long shopping list.. ;)
I'm the one who is going to do the 'skipping' away in few weeks time..and I'm not sure which one us is looking forward to it more.. ::)
But its true in our case..bit of distance makes heart go fonder..or something like that..
We get separated for once of twice a year...and the break does good for both of us.
Try to enjoy 'your' time and do things what you would not otherwise have chance..even is it is leaving knickers lying about and dirty pots in a sink... ;) ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 13:03:16 »
My ex used to work abroad regularly, I agree its never easy saying goodbye no matter for how long.
But yes lots of positives as mentioned and all important control of the remote, then there is hogging the bed, eating a favorite food they hate, not having to cook if you don't want to, yes love the shopping 'unsupervised' ah think of those hours you will need to keep yourself occupied by......buying seeds! Yayyyyy then spread them out with the rest as Galina suggests  ;D

Even better just think how lovely it will be to hubby back  :)
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 13:18:00 »
My hubby went to Sicily two weeks ago and won't be back till "sometime in October" (he wasn't sure when)  I could go with him if I wanted to but I've got better ways to spend my time.  ;)

I do miss him of course, but as others have said, there are advantages too - the main one being that I don't have to stick to regular times for meals. 

The big disadvantage is that he isn't here to eat the courgettes, beans and tomatoes which are producing like mad at the moment.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 13:27:13 »
ive got hubby going away to Norway in September. So I get stuck with the twins full time.

I hate it, specially as when I was pregnant the plan was for me to go back to part time work, so not only do I now not work I have to put up with him going away too. He just doesnt get why I get a bit miffed.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 13:42:54 »
Be happy you're lucky enough to have someone who will be coming back and indulge yourself while they're away  :)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 14:31:35 »
 For goodness sake,Samantha chill out he will be back before you know it.
You 2 are so loved up its a wonder he agrees to go away, pair of heart eyes both of you. ::) Ring mummy up we can chat for an hour or 2 :o.
You could strip the kitchen nice surprise for when he gets back, so you can have your new kitchen fitted OR just sit with a book & box of choccies & chill out ;D ;D ;D.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 14:40:17 »
My ex used to go away alot as he as in the forces. he often found i'd done jobs that he'd been putting offf. You never know I may just tackle the removing and retiling of the kitchen

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 15:22:23 »
At least once every 2 years I work away for up to 7 months at a time with a 10 day break in between.  I also work away a lot in between and have been doing so for 23 years, although only the past 13 have been with my other half.  I will do it once more then probably change career in 2 1/2 years time.  The last time was the hardest but the next time for 7 months away will be the last.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 17:16:55 »
You daft mare, get out and paint the town red, my OH and the kids are up Hartlepool for a week on Tuesday, so you could get the credit card out and take me for a posh meal Sammy.   ;) ;D :D :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 17:25:45 »
Wish mine would go away and he would stop moaning about no dinner, cause you are always at that b dy allotment or talking to the cats, or doing jigsaw puzzles because you are retired. Love him really, but after 30 years a few days off (or weeks) would be good, then a good welcome home.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 17:36:57 »
Tell him to cook the dinner Borlotti, as I type I'm cooking Pork loin steaks on the BBQ, you supply the food and he can cook it, if you behave yourself I might let you come out with me and Sammy.   ;) ;D :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 17:41:26 »

I have always worked away up to the last four years, both in the Mil and Civi Street, I have put up with it because it was my job and the and the bills needed paying, my misses loved it  because it was a separation to get your thoughts together and come back loving each other more, I loved coming home and a good repatriation in bed with the Misses, :)

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 17:53:19 »
 my other halfs gone away  ;) oh i forgot yesterday he became an ex other half ;D

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 18:19:31 »
Hee hee @ some of the replies.  Thanks, they've helped cheer me up!  I like some of the suggestions; so much so that I might email my OH and ask him to stay there another week ;D ;D

For those who work away a lot (or those who have a partner who works away) or for long periods of time - does/did it ever get any easier?  Not that I anticipate any longer or more frequent trips for my OH but I'm just interested :)

Just off to phone Rosebud now.  Hope she's got a flask of tea and kit kat at the ready..... ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 18:21:15 by SamLouise »

pumkinlover

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 18:33:32 »
my other half's gone away  ;) oh i forgot yesterday he became an ex other half ;D

Is that congratulations or commiserations? ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 18:45:32 »
Sam, if it were me, I would have a couple od days to do what I fancied then spend the next few days planning a very special "coming home treat"

You could buy something pretty to wear,gussy up the bedroom,plan a very different first night home menu, pick up a special bottle of wine.etc etc etc

And then sit back and look forward to ti..

Hope your toes curl!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal