Author Topic: Sparrowhawk's Supper  (Read 1882 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Sparrowhawk's Supper
« on: August 17, 2011, 20:06:02 »
I am now convinced I am going crackers.   When I came home this afternoon I found quite a mess of feathers at our back door/patio with feathers everywhere.  We had had a hawk attack when a collared dove met its end.  I swept up most of the feathers (not easy) and removed a half eaten dove to the bin.  I couldn't believe it when the hawk turned up again obviously looking for its meal.   It left but returned again half an hour later and sat on my back door step and looked up at me as if to say 'you've nicked my tea'.   I removed the corpse from the bin and have replaced it near the back door.   Daft?  hmmm    ;)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Sparrowhawk's Supper
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 20:42:59 »
Wow. How wonderful, daft no. Well if you are so am I. That's just the sort of thing I would do ::).

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 21:25:29 »
It makes sense to me as it saves it killing another bird for seconds! :-*

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 22:17:35 »
Wow. How wonderful, daft no. Well if you are so am I. That's just the sort of thing I would do ::).

LOL, me too.  Either that or I'd probably nip down the butchers and buy some replacements! ;D ;D

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 20:10:17 »
The Hawk did return for the corpse and finished it off at the back door area leaving behind a wing with everything else gone.    :o

The Sparrowhawk is now back on the hunt in the area.  I have noticed that since the swallows moved in and had 2 lots of youngsters on our property (under the eaves at the front of house), the hawk was chased by up to ten swallows away from the area.  Now that the youngsters have fledged and out of the nest, I don't have frantic swallow parents to chase it away.   I know they all have to eat but like everyone else preferably not in my back yard. 

I am very protective of the blackbirds and they are still tame with me.   So, I put out their raisons, cheese, seed etc. and wait until the blackbirds eat before I go back indoors.  I don't want them to be snatched by the sparrowhawk.   I am def. nuts....  maybe..

;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal