Author Topic: More theft from our site  (Read 1854 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
More theft from our site
« on: August 25, 2011, 13:11:21 »
Following the recent theft of a big onion from our site we are all a bit edgy at the moment.  Yesterday evening I had a phone call to tell me that someone had stolen some pumpkins from an elderly Indian lady's son's plot.  She has only been in the country a few months and can't speak English but she managed to make herself understood to some other plotholders, who then phoned me.

Last week someone else told me that a runner bean which they had hoped to enter the 'longest bean' competition had been stolen too.

I thought things had gone far enough so I emailed our friendly sargeant at the local police station (only over the road) and told him about the three thefts and asked if a PCSO could occasionally walk around the site in the evenings.

Then I phoned the Indian lady's son.................only to be told that he had picked the pumpkins himself but forgotten to tell her. ::)  :D

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

Re: More theft from our site
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 13:30:32 »
 ;D -well I'd keep quiet about that bit Betty, you asked the police in good  faith and it cannot do any harm to have the police pop round.  I hope you give them tea- when we worked nights we always made the police welcome.

It feels lovely and safe having a cop car around!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 16:48:06 »
It's a horrible feeling when things go missing from the plot.

My neighbour was away for a week at the same time as me. When he returned three peaches had vanished from his plot greenhouse and someone else had "lost" a cabbage. We discovered a neat "gate" cut in the 8' perimeter fencing and the cutout wire hinged at the top so it didn't show.  :o

I lost my favourite tool (a swoe) because, being in a rush, I had forgotten to put it away.  :( Then, I discovered it sitting in my neighbour's shed when I peered through his window. (I'd looked everywhere else).

Good of him to take it in for me... All I have to do is meet him on the plot one fine day to get it back again... soon I hope as the weeds won't wait.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 17:22:37 »
I had a lovely cabbage, still got half in the fridge, from my allotment neighbour, but was told to 'help myself' as he was away for two weeks, only took one cabbage, I promise, and told him when he got back.  His cabbages are beautiful and only came from the pound shop, seeds for £1.  But I have given him figs, strawberries and cooking apples, so it is OK to ask, but still don't like taking when the plot holder is not around. It is amazing that plot holders know who many apples, plants etc. they have and if one is missing they notice.  Did take some raspberries off the neglected site that hasn't been taken, so that doesn't counts.  Ask and you will receive, have been offered too many marrows, no more please.  Lovely people on our allotment site, and the cooking apples I left for anyone are still there, must put a notice on 'my take' surplus to requiremnts.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:04:26 »
We have a 'help yourself' table, stuff still goes occasionally but not too bad  :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 16:37:19 »
It's a horrible feeling when things go missing from the plot.

My neighbour was away for a week at the same time as me. When he returned three peaches had vanished from his plot greenhouse and someone else had "lost" a cabbage. We discovered a neat "gate" cut in the 8' perimeter fencing and the cutout wire hinged at the top so it didn't show.  :o

I lost my favourite tool (a swoe) because, being in a rush, I had forgotten to put it away.  :( Then, I discovered it sitting in my neighbour's shed when I peered through his window. (I'd looked everywhere else).

Good of him to take it in for me... All I have to do is meet him on the plot one fine day to get it back again... soon I hope as the weeds won't wait.

And the good news (for me) is I got it back!!  :)
       Now I must think of something to give in return for his good deed. Perhaps some spare seeds for next year?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal