Author Topic: Catching fleas  (Read 5067 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Catching fleas
« on: August 22, 2011, 15:18:46 »
I don't believe it.  Just had the house sprayed twice, but obviously it didn't work, and it was a friend of a friend.  Went to the new pet shop, and they only sold Frontline (which obviously isn't working), so went to the vet and got Stronghold, and Indorex spray for house and Insectrepel for son who gets bitten. Spent all day washing and hoovering when I could have been at the allotment.  Rang the Council, and they will come and spray for £95 but this is the bit that I thought was funny, I have to catch a flea and take it in a jar to the Civic Centre.  I suppose that is a good idea, as they have to identify the problem they are dealing with, so here on a lovely sunny afternoon I am on a flea hunt, and they never come near me.  Charlie seems to be OK, and sleeping outside.  I suppose it is all my fault for letting Dulce in my house, so he will have to be treated or go back home (ha, ha).

Hector

• Hectare
Re: Catching fleas
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 15:27:01 »
Will Dulce let you comb him with a nit comb?
Jackie

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 15:46:28 »
Yes, I have been combing them both and they have fleas, or had had fleas, but as they are not allowed in we now have them in the house (the fleas). Obviously Frontline doesn't work anymore.   Hope it is only cat fleas and nothing worse.  Dulce's tail seems worse, then he bites me.  Well I am going to get some shopping, then finish the hoovering and bleaching the floors.  Don't remember this problem when I was young and slept with my cat in bed, think the fleas are getting stronger.  No more animals when Charlie is gone.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 15:55:26 »
I think nits in children became harder to treat as they became immune to the treatments. Could be the same in cats I suppose. The indorex spray worked for us, I hope it does for you. I think it was about £13.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 15:48:17 »
Well had an interesting morning taking a flea in a glass to the Civic Centre, had used all the jam jars to make plum jar last night.  Son woke me up at 7 am with a flea on his arm and he put it in a glass.  They are going to send it off, but lady who has cats was pretty sure it was a cat flea.  It had a lovely bus ride.  It will take five days to get the results then pay up front (£95) for Council to spray.  Have done the cats with strong stuff from vets, but they are not allowed in.  Have sprayed with stuff from vet, and hoovered.  Washed all the bed clothes, duvets, really, really fed up. Local man coming tomorrow for the third time to spray again, as can't wait for the Council as have grandson sleeping over tonight.  If this doesn't work will get the Council in next week.  Looked at new carpets for living room but will have to get this problem sorting out first.  Not a very happy bunny from Enfield.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 18:51:08 »
Poor unhappy bunny from Enfield :(. I hope you get it sorted. The vet told our daughter to spray each year before putting the heating on in the Autumn.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 16:52:16 »
Well the man, not from the Council has come back and sprayed again, and only charged £15 for the chemical.  Poor cats are living in cupboard city, but at least it is not raining. Stupid Charlie has a plastic greenhouse but just sits under the table and gets wet.  Going to ask son to build a wooden kennel for Charlie as his tail keeps getting wet.  If this doesn't work will have to get the Council in next week, as it takes 5 days to identify the flea.  Really, really pssed off from Enfield. Cats have been treated but not allowed in because of the chemicals (cough, cough).

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 14:31:27 »
Well have been sprayed again, and so far no fleas.  Granddaughter slept over last night and didn't get bitten.  Rang Council and they have confirmed the flea that I took in a jar to them is a cat flea, and apparently they are quite easy to treat.  If they reoccur will have to pay the £95 to have the house sprayed, but so far so good.  Both cats been treated with stuff from vet, and still sleeping in cupboard city.  The only problem is Gabanna, the other twin that sometimes comes to see Dulce and has a flea collar on, but have searched the internet and they don't work only on the neck, not the tail.  Going to get a kennel built for Charlie for the winter and he can sleep in the leanto, although he is in love with his cupboard box with a plastic roof.  He seems fine, now the fleas have gone, but may have to take him back to the vet before next month when I get the next flea treatment for his neck.  B...ddy hell I can't treat all the cats in the vicinity as there are so many.

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 20:09:10 »
Living, itching, scratching nightmare :(

All the very very best Borlotti,

Lishka

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 21:04:47 »
Well we seem to be flea free, hurray.  Charlie is back indoors and having a lovely sleep on the sofa.  Dulce is asleep in the plastic greenhouse and they have both had their Stronghold flea treatment today, so everyone keep their fingers crossed.  Help, my ankle is itching, but it may be the red ants that got me on the allotment today, when cutting the long grass.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 18:42:08 »
Charlie is back indoors, and so far so good. Dulce is still outside, but he is not my cat, but just thinks he is.  He is having a lovely sleep in the laundry basket, and I really needed it to get the washing in but didn't like to disturb him.  He has his cupboard box and the plastic greenhouse, and I suppose he could go home (dream on).

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 18:47:53 »
What is it with cat owners. If Tilly is on my knee I won't disturb her for love nor money. Mind you it did take 5+ years for it to happen. We were adopted ;D ;D ;D.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 17:56:36 »
Charlie is back in, and granddaughter didn't get bitten at weekend, at least have had no complaints from Mum so far.  She is a flea magnet.  Dulce not allowed in, as he doesn't live here (ha, ha), but may well treat him before it gets too cold (as don't want him sleeping rough, Nov 5th coming up so he must come in) as have seen him scratching.  He had Stronghold on last month but soon due for another treatment. So far so good, so keep all fingers crossed.  Only one treatment of flea treatment left so off to the vets, unless I go back to using Frontline which I can buy off the Internet, but not Stronghold.  Just ordered new carpets and underlay, cost over £1,000 so these cats are getting expensive.  Next door has treated Gabanna as the two terrible twins do met up, so hopefully all is well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal