Author Topic: recipe question for Jeannine..or anybody who knows answer for this...  (Read 1761 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Ok...this is the recipe..
Code: [Select]
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1302/pickled-pears..and my question is..
If you were to process this properly for storage (old argument here) how long you would water bath the jars?..would you cook fruit before hand as in recipe..or would fill the jars with raw fruit and pouring prepared(cooked) syrup over and then boiling jars in water bath to finish the job? I'm just worried if I precook the pear slices they get over cooked in water bath.
And how long you would water bath 500ml jars?...I am thinking 15 mins..would that do the job?
If I'm going for the trouble of picking and preparing the fruit..buying cider and proper kilner jars..I'm buggered if I take short cuts with bottling and then everything goes in 'pear-shape' when it comes time for the pleasure of eating.. ::)
So..pretty please for an answer before I start my marathon job..
Oh...and..suppose its better if the fruit is still on firm side rather than ripe..(never done this sort before.. :-X)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 20:37:35 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: recipe question for Jeannine..or anybody who knows answer for this...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 20:34:45 »
I'll try again with the page.. :-[ http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1302/pickled-pears..there  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 21:07:37 »
Ok, answers and clarification.

First off they are not talking about cider, it is badly written.. they are talking about cider vinegar or white wine vinegar, either one but not the drink known as cider.

The recipe is fine for a water bath, this is only used to expel air and fully seal the jars and thoroughly sterilise everything.

I would use firm pears, and use thick slices and I would follow the recipe but I would make sure that the pears didn't start falling apart.  They shouldn't if firm enough to start. 10 minutes may be enough, it depends on the type of pear, so keep an eye on them. Don't overcook them.

I would then put onto hot scalded jars, cover with boiling syrup leaving 1'4 in headspace and process 500 ml for 15 minute..times starts after they come up to the boil.

Pears are high acid anyway so will be perfectly safe  to store for ages if done this way. Just check the jars have sealed after they come out of the water bath, some may ping as you fill them but ignore that and process anyway.

Leaving them a month will concentrate the flavours.

Have fun. I am deep into processing today, I bought 10lbs of pears yesterday along  same  amount  of  beets, corn, apples , blueberries, rhubarb and peaches so I am slowly simking in jars !!

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 21:09:41 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 21:18:06 »
Code: [Select]
First off they are not talking about cider  :-X whoopsie..Oh well...I've got the vinegar sort in cupboard anyway..and the cider I bought (of course I didn't have the recipe with me when shopping) just have to be corked for something else..It might make peeling work more interesting if I have bottle next to me.. ;D ;D
I bought  load of rum for rumtopf as well so my head was in booze shopping.. ;D
Okey..so just quick cook first and rest will be sorted in water bath.. ;)
Thank you very much for the help..I can start caressing my new kilner jars now.. ;D And fun with pears tomorrow.. ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 03:01:08 »
Don't undercook them , they will not change much in the water bath XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal