Author Topic: Saving Cucumber seed for sharing circle :)  (Read 1207 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Saving Cucumber seed for sharing circle :)
« on: August 22, 2011, 23:46:08 »
I'm in the second seed sharing circle :) I am growing mini white cukes (love them). How many cukes do folk recommend I leave to fully ripen for a decent supply of seeds to share...not done this before!!
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Saving Cucumber seed for sharing circle :)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 03:32:09 »
Hector, I too have this one and have loads of it so don't worry if you start to run out, make sure you keep fat seeds, there are always some smaller duds. I just tried one  that was over mature to eat and about 1/3rd to 1/2 were good to save, the rest I chucked. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 06:52:49 »
do you save them the same tomatoe seed ?  I have a small outdoor cucumber that I want to save.  Any advice will be appreciated.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 08:06:42 »
Thanks Jeannine, I was worrying I wouldn't get this  right :)
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 19:10:17 »
They don't have the gelatinous coating on like tomatoes so no need to ferment. I pick them, sort them, rinse them in a sieve, drain them and put them to dry on a paper plate,(not paper tissue) when thoroughly dry and won't bend I pack them.. I tend to leave them to dry a long time, same as squash as they seeds are quite big.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 19:33:09 »
Many thanks Jeannine for the advice.  This the 1st year that I've tried to save seeds so its all new to me.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 20:34:28 »
Leave them on the plant as long as you can, till the skins are hard, and the flesh possibly rotten. They can't be too ripe. Wash the gunk off through a sieve or a colander.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal