Author Topic: SO WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO DIFFERENTLY NEXT YEAR?  (Read 13169 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
SO WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO DIFFERENTLY NEXT YEAR?
« on: August 20, 2011, 21:15:38 »
I have had my worst ever tomato growing year so next year I am getting rid of the grow bags and will plant in 12ltr containers.  Last year I planted only two tomato plants to each grow bag and the yield was much better per plant. I hope it works! ???

Duke
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 21:32:42 by Duke Ellington »
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

queenbee

• Acre
Re: SO WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO DIFFERENTLY NEXT YEAR
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 21:20:22 »
I am going to tie my french beans up more securely and not grow as many turnips. 
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

anemone

• Half Acre
Re: SO WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO DIFFERENTLY NEXT YEAR?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 22:13:11 »
Start everything earlier ! almost nothing is ready still this year.

I may even do autumn sown broad beans and garlic to get a head start.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 23:02:54 »
Going to autumn sow garlic and onions.  As Anemone  said, I am also starting other things earlier, as hardly anything ready.
I won't be doing as many oriental greens or Rapa again. Tried throughout season and went to seed...don't think it was due to heat!!!
Will do much more mange touts as they were gorgeous and I didn't do enough.

Jackie

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 23:54:46 »
Not bothering with autumn sown broad beans - complete waste of time. Onions from seeds as well as sets.

Try and crack cauliflowers, aubergines and peppers - still not working for me

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 06:35:35 »
Same here no overwintering beans,but have chanced some PSB but it will be well protected. We are only going to grow one variety of potato because its the only one that we really like. Nadine. Its a second early but stores very well.
We always plant too many tomatoes so we will cut back on those too.
We sometimes forget that there are only two of us and even with sharing we still have an excess of some things.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 06:50:01 »
Need to devote more time to my plot in June ,July,and august as i spend the other 9 months of the year getting it how i want it only to let it get in a total mess in 3 months due to taking on to much work(self employed) ::).Will also go back to planting garlic in the Autumn as this years spring planted was rubbish :'(Must also spend more time with all you lovely people on A4A

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 07:31:33 »
I must get permission from the council to cut down a tree which is now shading my veg patch, it's now quite a problem.

keep weeding little and often.... better than leave it too late.  ::)

Alison

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 08:06:55 »
.....going to start rain dance already in February.. ::), might not be bad idea burst in few songs too...
Not trying to germinate my beans in GH if we have hot weather in forecast.. ::)
Remembering to move lettuce trays outside before they 'cook' in GH.... ::)
Routinely 'tinker' with every bag of compost to add lime and fertilizer... ::)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:09:18 by goodlife »

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 08:06:55 »
Trying out new variaties.  And getting proper paths in.( have been collecting slabs off free cycle over time and now have enough) ;D ;D
Growing more spuds. Getting the green house that came with the plot reglazed.

Alimo, if they won't let you take it down, you could as a friend of mine did and thats take off the lower branches and raise the crown. Gave a lot more light and still acted a a wind break. It looked a bit odd to start with till she got used to it, then planted honeysuckle and clamatis at the base which as now grown up into the top.  The bee's love it and looks and smells great.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 08:39:41 »
Grow all weeds - I get a better success rate with them!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 08:51:59 »
No more onion sets for me - going all seed next year.  Plus Ill be trying the onion tea methood for white rot.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 09:27:37 »
I've already treated one bed for Onion white Rot with ground up garlic...and then sow with green manure. Will be treating each bed for OWR when the last crop comes out so that in a year, each bed will have been treated and we can then see how onions go.

Next year - I am hoping the effects of the Aminopyralid are lessened so that I don't lose too many crops to this nasty stuff. That's 2 seasons now that we have lost beans.  >:(

Each time I get a spare space, green manures are going in without fail.

Next year though is the year of the bush tomato. I tried these this year in pots as one of my schools was closing and I wanted to transport the toms to their other premises and well, this has yielded loads of toms. Thanks to one fab member on here who sent me some extra bush toms it has changed the way I grow toms myself now. I also found another 2 varieties that are dwarf which I have saved seeds for. Much better than vines if you are a little busy during May to Aug.

And again, the garden at home, is begin sown with green manures as the soil needs a bit of a lift.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 09:44:41 »
 not exactly next year as ive started but to dig each patch as the crop finish and keep on top of the weeds and not to leave the digging to the spring as i was still clearing beds when i should have been planting so every thing got planted late

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 09:54:15 »
I will not sow too many seed like I did this year, as even after giving lots away I had far too many plants to manage in my garden veg plot. I shall space things out better as its been a nightmare getting round everthing to water it. I will resist all temptation to sow my seed way too early as I lost a lot of plants and had to start again. I will not grow my squash as a trained upright in the plastic greenhouse as its been a disaster (two fruit on three plants). I will invent some better way of keeping the hens off the veggie beds as they dug up all my onions and a bed of carrots and some beetroot. I will also stagger what I am growing next year so i dont end up with everything at once. On a good note I will have better soil next year as I will have plenty of well rotted chicken poo in my homemade compost :)

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 10:01:03 »
No more savoy cabbage :( as it just forms very lose heads 3rd season trying it, its my favorite as well,

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 10:57:49 »

To stop DH weeding!!! Yesterday while at the allotment he showed me this strange weed he had found it was my Achocha plant that I had loved and cared for and had just started producing tiny cues!!! My fault he had pulled it up I never told him it was there even though I had put a label next to it!!!

X Chas

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 11:58:16 »
Only going to do toms and cucumbers in the greenhouse I am getting for Christmas.  It's a waste of time putting them up at the plot.  I'd rather use the space at the plot to grow the things I simply can't fit in my courtyard.

Only planting 2 courgettes!  I am sick of the buggers now. ;D

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 18:28:41 »
Im going to give up on the aubergines. three years and not a single full sized fruit ive tired them in pots, in the greenhouse beds , and outside not a sausage!

I am going to try a different beefsteak tom as marmande and black russian havent been at all sweet or firm.

Im also going to find mroe cheap fruit trees at aldi this winter as the the ones i bought last winter and trained along my boundaries have done brilliantly ive got all sorts of pears plums and cherries that i really wasnt expecting this year!

and as a poster said above next year there will be more compost to go around and i will take more smelly trips to the stables for manure.

you live and learn
 x sunloving

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 18:42:11 »
Will try the onion tea method but will probably grow the sets in a raised bed with the pallet hold up thingies
Start celeriac off early next year.
 :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal