Author Topic: Feeling a little downcast :(  (Read 3448 times)

pumkinlover

Re: Feeling a little downcast :(
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 22:33:06 »
We've all had problems this year and apparently butternut squashes are the hardest ones in this country.

But next year WILL be better :D

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 22:49:41 »
I am feeling stressed at the moment because I have too much lettuce, too much turnips, to much watercress which has now gone to seed. What do I do with too many aubergines and courgettes. My freezer is full and my neighbours are getting midnight parcels on their doorsteps. So much waste. I can't stand waste. I know my compost bins will benefit but with so many starving people in this world it seems such a shame. Have any of you any solutions to your excess crops and do they cause you stress.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 16:59:00 »
I am feeling stressed at the moment because I have too much lettuce, too much turnips, to much watercress which has now gone to seed. What do I do with too many aubergines and courgettes. My freezer is full and my neighbours are getting midnight parcels on their doorsteps. So much waste. I can't stand waste. I know my compost bins will benefit but with so many starving people in this world it seems such a shame. Have any of you any solutions to your excess crops and do they cause you stress.

If you have a sikh temple nearby they will almost certainly run a non-proselytising food kitchen for the poor/needy.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 20:44:32 »
Brilliant idea, chriscross, but how many people have a convenient Sikh temple nearby?

I join in because I have been to 2 Sikh weddings in Singapore, and the family (including me) had to spend 2 or 3 hours in the temple kitchens chopping onions (quite mouldy, sack after sack), very long beans, garlic and so forth, as part of their tradition that no-one is too rich or grand that they don't spend time on humble tasks for the benefit of their fellow men and women. Poor or not.

One day I crossed the Straits of Singapore into Malaysia for a day, went to the nearest Sikh temple, and EXACTLY the same ideals were carried out. Except I was not family there, so they fed me.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 00:22:19 »
Same here, first year without a lottie and we are growing at home but hubbys health has ment the raised beds are slow to get made and i have plants sat waiting to go in way to long.
Put tomatoes outside as i could not lift the bench out off the greenhouse to make room for them, just done that today and dragged the sad plants inside. The beans are just setting at long last and radish and beetroot are ok ish, feel down about it all but have a week off and made a start sorting the place out in the vain hope to be ready for next year  ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 01:10:39 »
I sympathise.
I think everyone, if they're honnest, has downcast days. This year has been excellent for them.  ;D

I know we all moan about it's too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry but it really has been a stinker of a year all over the country it seems.

We had very hot days in May but still very chilly nights. I decided to wait before planting out. Big mistake....the weather didn't improve. Weeks of no rain and little sunshine followed. When it did warm up a bit we had nothing but drab, grey skies and then it rained...continuously.

I've not had the best of growing season but there have been some successes more by luck than judgement.
Lots of failures too.  ::)

(Time has been short as I'm a carer for my two 90+ year old parents so allotmenting has to fit into short fleeting visits between showers of rain.  ::))

pumkinlover

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 08:10:59 »
Queenbee- our local hospice will also use fresh food  for the patients :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 09:50:56 »
Queenbee..you could also leave box of veg near your house with sign "all fresh produce and free. I've grown too much and its shame if it goes waste..as long as you take what you will use, help yourself.."  ;D
Shall we take bets how long it will stay full?.. ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal