Author Topic: I got an oversexed squash patch..anyone want Blue Patch babies?  (Read 1157 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Well, I grew squash to share with our community gardens and had a few left over so I found an area that was isilated from the rest of the gardens and planted them all together..they are all blues..nothing but blues ..but a few differnet kinds and they are romping away, bees landing all over the flowers and they are having a doozy of a time.

The original plan was to give the fruit to the foodbank but I think it may be fun to keep seeds and see what happens.

In the patch is.. Blue Hubbard, Baby Blue Hubbard,Queensland Blue,Triamble,Crown Prince,Jarrahdale,Blue Banana,Sibley and Marina de Chioggia.

They are all Maxima so will be having a good old family get together and they all taste good,,well maybe not Jarrahdale so much , but the others are among the best.

They seem to becoming on well even with the late start to am fairly confident we shopuld get a harvest and seeds.

If no takers they will go to the food bank unopened.

Could be fun if you are the adventurous type. Seems a shame to miss the chance of getting something interesting from the Blue Patch

If anyone wants seeds , plesae send me a PM with full name and address and I can file it in my e mail box for when they are ready.

It would be good to hear about what you get too.

XX Jeannine

Edited to add another variety  and info
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 17:56:07 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
Re: I got an oversexed squash patch..anyone want babies?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 17:40:38 »
I'd love some if you don't mind Jeannine x

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: I got an oversexed squash patch..anyone want Blue Patch babies?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 18:12:23 »
PM me XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 22:09:31 »
me too what fun pm ed you

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 22:23:21 »
Oooo yes please, if thats ok :)
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 17:23:09 »
I have Pms , I will update progress on this thread..re growth and when in post.

Went there yesterday and they are growing daily. There is also Sweetmeat and Blue Magic in the patch too.

Lat couple of years there was winter squash grown on the area they are planted in, it is in a fenced compound that grows for the foodbank. The squirrels insisted on sampling the squash so they all had little teeth marks in and couldn't be used.I was appalled that they were dumped.

This year no one grew winter squash for that reason  but I had these plants spare and put them in.

If the critters have a taste it won't matter for the seeds as they don't go that deep but I have told everyone that squirrels don't like blue squash.

Fingers crossed they don't like them better then previous years LOL

XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal