Author Topic: French onion soup  (Read 1328 times)

queenbee

• Acre
French onion soup
« on: August 16, 2011, 22:49:03 »
Today I have spent ages making French onion soup.I used the thick necked onions. It took ages to caramelise the onions, When I went to the butchers I asked for bones to make stock. He gave me a large beef bone and chopped it in small pieces for me (free). It was really worth the effort. I have enough for six portions. I also have half the stock left and will freeze and use it again. It gives me such satisfaction that I have made something out of nothing. Can anyone beat that.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
Re: French onion soup
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 22:51:45 »
Wouldn't attempt to beat that, but i think you are very resourseful !! i make use of everything i can, even made radish soup the other day from a lot of radish we had going over !! Waste not want not .  ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 00:07:12 »
Wonderful, I love making stuff out of what someone else would call nothing..Well done XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Anisemary

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 00:22:00 »
Had a portion of home made pastry and a couple of over ripe bananas kicking about last week, so invented a dessert on the spur of the moment which daughter and grand-daughter (7 years old) say 'couldn't possibly be improved on!'
Blind baked a pastry case in a deepish flan tin, spread  carnation caramel thickly on the bottom and topped it with a recipe I have for banana loaf, back in the oven for 35 mins, dusted with icing sugar and served at room temp. with a dollop of cream. Not at all bad from left-overs! (Note to self: remember to let some bananas slip to the bottom of the fruit bowl accidently!)  ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal