Photo Gallery > The Gallery

Scent in Winter

(1/2) > >>

Palustris:
I wish I could post the smell from these two Jacqueline Postil and Daphne mezureum roseum

eileen:
and I wish I could smell them Palustris - almost but not quite!  ::)

Gardengirl:
Wonderful Eric :D  We used to have a Daphne bush right outside our back door where we used to live and the scent in the evening was quite breathtaking :)

Garden Manager:
Everyone raves about Daphne's, yet i cant see why myself. It seem as if the flower sent is its one attraction, and then only for a few short weeks.  Most arent even evergreen, so no winter interest when NOT  in flower.

Though if i had one i'd think differently. Its just a plant has to work really hard to earn a place in my garden. Daphnes just dont do enough for me. Sorry  :(

Palustris:
Before rushing into print, I thought I ought to do a litle checking. I discovered that the majority of Daphne species and cultivars commonly grown in Britain are in fact evergreen or semi-evergreen. Some of these have variegated leaves. Flowering period is from Winter right through to late Summer. The flowers last between a month to two months depending on pollination.  Most also produce berries ranging in colour from black to white via red yellow and orange. Almost all of the common types are heavily scented, the scent produced more in the evening than during the day.
For length of interest, they have more to offer than Roses (dead looking twigs for 6 months), herbaceous plants (nothing at all for4 to 5 months) Tree peonies (see roses). Forsythia? Lilac? Viburnum?. I could find dozens of favoured shrubs and plants with as little interest as Daphnes.
And if you want the ultimate in short termism, I grow an iris whose flowers last 1 day and for the last 3 years we have been away from home on that day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version