Author Topic: Corn  (Read 1391 times)

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
Corn
« on: August 20, 2011, 21:45:30 »
How have yours been? 23 plants and 42 cobs picked today, for me a great result.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Corn
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:25:56 »
Well not as good as that!!! I planted over 40 - split between early and late..
I have only picked a few so far but they are really nice - it's the one thing that I really look forward to each year.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

peejay

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 12:20:07 »
Hi guys

This is the first year I've planted corn.  The cobs do not seem to be ripening, even though the "tassels" seem to have died down.  How long does it normally take? They seem a reasonable size, just still very white inside.  They did have big problems with greenfly earlier in the season so I had to spray them (started off with soapy water).  However I wonder if they have a virus as the plants do no not look very green, just a bit washed out and streaky.

Help!

PeterVV

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 18:35:08 »
I have 12 plants in, and only now are the cobs forming, so will have to wait and see, at the mercy of the flippin weather I am AFRAID...

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 18:46:24 »
I've had 5 so far but I'm only taking them as I need them, I think the wind has blown the tassles off as they are all tassle free now, I've about another 25+ left.   ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 18:49:35 »
My early corn had really poor pollination and so most of it went to the chickens but the middle set are full cobs but ripening very slowly and the late well it as no cobs on so im not hopeful
but way better than last year (20 plants and 5 ripe cobs)
onwards and upwards  :)
x sunloving

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 22:55:34 »
Mine were pathetic this year so dug them up. Lets hope for better weather next year. Love my fresh sweetcorn as well...... :'( :'( :'(

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 19:04:57 »
Mine are hopeless too, though they were good last year. Virtually no female flowers, just a few males waving about. I don't know what went wrong, apart from lack of water or rain (no water at that plot).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal