Author Topic: Wales  (Read 3434 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Wales
« on: August 13, 2011, 15:35:33 »
I am likely to be dragging the caravan over to the Brecon beacons soon. Now will my satnav (Ffiona with 2 f's) still be talking to me in English? Or will she give up all together when I cross the border. My trusty old road atlas just states 'Here be dragons' on the welsh page. Is it still summertime there or has winter set in, I will have to pack the right clothes for the trip and am wondering if I should pack my longjohns.

Now, local food, I always try to indulge in the local delicacies, so what is recommended. I tripped over the border years ago on the motorbike but it was closed so did not stay long. But his time is likely to be longer. Some good places to visit would be also nice to know if you have any that is.

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
Re: Wales
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 15:56:59 »
would love to help but alas am in the north !! But as for local delicacies, try an "oggie" or "Lavabread" both scrummy !! ;D

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 16:03:10 »
We're in the North too, so don't understand a word of what they say down South.  :D
As for the food... If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it.  :P
Have fun!
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 16:13:48 »
Its lovely in Wales and  not many in south Wales talk welsh

ps were wining the rugby at the mo ;D
i don't belive death is the end

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 16:13:49 »
Seaweed, leeks and, if you can catch one, lamb. A good place to eat is my great Auntie Gracie's house in Glynneath but I can't remember her address so you'll have to find somewhere else.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 16:56:35 »
be sure to visit the Winston Churchill Museum in Tonypandy. Warm welcome guaranteed

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 21:20:01 »
You could always go for a nice steady stroll up Pen-Y Fan some lovely views if you get to the top.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 23:10:45 »
Ace, don't worry we are a friendly Nation. Your Sat Nav will still be in English but be prepared for bilingual road signs and bilingual notices in public places and a lot of shops. If you are coming over the Severn Bridge your first sign in Welsh will be 'Croeso i Gymru' welcome to Wales. I live about 4 miles from the bridge on the M48 to Chepstow and I have been learning Welsh for 4 years.
The food has unfortunately become more English/European but if you look around you can still find restaurants serving traditional local food. Eat and enjoy.
Unfortuanately there aren't many big gardens in S Wales but if you get the chance to make a detour the Welsh Botanic Garden near Carmarthen is worth a visit.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 23:31:56 »

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 00:15:25 »
Wasnt it Antony Worrel-Thompson who got into a big row once by asking what the point of the Welsh was?
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Mark S

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 10:06:39 »
Wasnt it Antony Worrel-Thompson who got into a big row once by asking what the point of the Welsh was?

O was it Anne Robinson? Or both.

Bara Brith, btw. Either on its own, or with butter (as you would with malt loaf)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 18:16:32 »
Ace,
There's a beer you should avoid - can't spell it but it sounds like 'fellingfoul'.  ::)
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 18:44:52 »
Ace,
There's a beer you should avoid - can't spell it but it sounds like 'fellingfoul'.  ::)

I don't think I would drink gnats pee like that, I've had stronger shandies.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 18:50:53 »
Ace,
There's a beer you should avoid - can't spell it but it sounds like 'fellingfoul'.  ::)

I don't think I would drink gnats pee like that, I've had stronger shandies.

Hah, you should come to the east coast round Skegness and drink the crap they serve there, Batemans Good Honest Ale, its ****ing disgusting. I had half a pint once, about 40 years ago, never again. It made Watneys Red Barrel taste like nectar.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal