Author Topic: autumn planting  (Read 1999 times)

antsuxx

• Not So New ...
autumn planting
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:54:40 »

Hi is it  really beneficial to  plant onion sets  and garlic in autumn? plea se
    new  to this
              thanks ,    Ant

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: autumn planting
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 14:51:44 »
Hi, welcome to a4a  ;D
we always plant some onions and garlic in autumn, we lost lots of the red onion sets overwinter but the garlic was brilliant

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 17:01:40 »
In y experience the garlic is much bigger and in some onions, Walla Walla which is a fave of mine they are much sweeter.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 18:21:19 »
Garlic much bigger and better from autumn planting. Haven't tried onions yet but someone else's Sensyshu were brilliant and ready long before spring planted ones - so you can have home grown all year.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 05:35:02 »
Hi Ant, I always plant Autumn onions, they tied me over until the early March planted onions are ready, will give the winter shallots a miss this year though. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 08:39:32 »
We always plant radar to overwinter. If you want to store the garlic I believe that softneck keep better.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 09:00:47 »
Garlic definitely. I get much better yields than my neighbouring plots that grow in spring. Onions, I have never tried as spring planted gives me really good results.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

petefj

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 15:54:04 »
My over wintering onions and garlic were absolute winners.  I plan on planting more this September/October.  My garlic were particularly good. 
Give it a go, you might well be surprised.

Peter
If you can keep your head, whilst those around you are losing theirs,
you obviously don't realise the full horror of your situation.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 18:27:30 »
Hi Ants. Garlic needs the winter to form properly - so get them in end of oct - nov...

Japanese or Radar onions are great for autumn planting. I normally start to eat mine mid april as onions in white sauce... basically pull them when they are thumb thickness and cut into pieces - including lots of the greens, mic or simmer for 5 min and add chees / white sauce... Like leeks but better!!  ;D

enjoy
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 18:37:57 »
GAVIN  do you mean you sow seeds or sets to get that size as onions in awhite sauce sounds yummy

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 21:41:30 »
I always grow my onions from sets... they dont really bolt like seed onions do..

Do you want a master class on growing onions..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 21:54:22 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 09:01:22 »
no i dont need a master class on growing onions or any other class you said ,quote  pull when thumb thickness thats got me  thinking you grew from seed as my sets is always larger than thumb thickness at the time of planting out unless you have huge thumbs   lol

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 11:25:30 »
I wasn't being funny about sharing some info growing onions.. 

When I say thumb thickness I mean the whole onion as it grows.. like 6 - 8 " of growth.. When a set starts yes its like finger size but the growth is not... so wait a few months till it is ALL thumb thickness and then start to eat... 

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 13:20:07 »
 thanks for the reply  i now know what  you mean about thumb size the growth and not the onion you had me confused which is not hard to do my spring grown onions is big enough so iam happy on that score just interested if autumn grown ones would be any  more use to me freeing up more ground for spring growing other vege etc

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 15:13:05 »
Last year's overwintered onions did poorly really. We lost all the reds and the two varieties of whites are smaller than the spring-planted sets.
The Garlic just sucked up the cold weather though. I have a drawer-full of the stuff! :)

I'll still try again with autumn-planted onions though. When the winter isn't too bad, they produce beauties!.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 18:22:19 »
Hi i usually grow winter onion sets with good results,I grow some onions from seed the Bedford champion,was very pleased ,my onion sets were larger than i've ever had before!ill try growing garlic this autum and radar onions.

PeterVV

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 19:33:48 »
my garlic and onions that I planted in Oct last year did realy well, the onions were huge , over  apound each! - variety was Electric (red onion)

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 20:32:36 »
Hi Ant
We grow over-wintering onion sets mainly because it's nice to have something in the ground over the winter.

We sometimes lose a few to the weather, more so the reds than the white varieties, we buy our for about (can't find pound symbol!!) 1.20 for about 100 from our lottie shop.

Don't grow garlic as we don't eat it.

Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal