Author Topic: Are leek bulbs a new resource? Anyone seen them used elsewhere?  (Read 1804 times)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
I've always been too mean to pull up perfectly healthy leeks just because they've run to seed - they always die back leaving shallot-sized bulbs below the surface.

I've been putting the bulbs into stews for years, but it was only last week I tried them raw.

They are fantastic - the mild flavour of a spring onion but with more crunch and no 'rings' - perfect sliced into a sandwich.

I can't believe why they aren't a standard ingredient in this and dozens of other ways.

Has anyone else tried them?

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Are leek bulbs a new resource? Anyone seen them used elsewhere?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 00:08:18 »
Yep..I grow wild leek.they are grown from bulbs and I usually leave the top growth alone as I do prefer the bulb and those that I haven't eaten I re-plant again..giving me even larger bulb when lifted next time.
I think these sort of things falled out of favour as the return per plant is so small..size wise..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal