Author Topic: Apple recipes required (bountiful harvest of eating apples)  (Read 4304 times)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!

Have picked two  carrier bags to capacity, of eating apples from my brothers

overladen apple tree. Had quick scan of my cook books & most recipes require

cooking apples.

I don't know what variety the apples are but they are pink/green similar to 'gala'

Does anyone have suggestions / recipes??

Debs

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Apple recipes required (bountiful harvest of eating apples)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 01:51:52 »
Many recipes which call for cooking apples also call for sugar, so you can substitute eating apples often.
You may want to boil up some chunks to see what the texture is like after cooking - some tend to be firm and hold their shape in the chunks, some go to a puree quickly, and this will help you decide which recipes are suitable.
They could be Discovery, which ripens quite early, especially if some of the apples have a slight pink tinge in the flesh.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 04:13:09 »
Over here Bramleys  or indeed any apple called a cooking apple are unheard of everyone uses regular apples for cooking..I found a tiny orchard run by a Scot that had a Bramley last year and was amazed but they don't keep well so a treat for just a few weeks. I use regular apples mostly, I use a Granny Smith if I want a firm apple and a Gala or Pink Lady for most things it works just  fine . I still add sugar if making pies and cinnamon.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 06:37:49 »
Bramleys, Jeannine? The best keeping apples - apart perhaps from Braeburn - well into May.

Debs - Tartin of course.

This one was a wee bit overdone!

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:56:45 »
I had loads last year and made apple jelly.Sorry i didnt keep the recipe as i just tend to goggle recipes these days.But it was lovely.They were eating apples,various types as i have the trees with 3 types on each tree
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:58:40 by budgiebreeder »
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 10:26:08 »
Made this one a few weeks ago, very tasty you need two bramleys, try all eaters, might work.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/blackberry-apple-pie

My Bramleys keep until April, wife likes cinnamon , but I prefer cloves in my pies
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:28:09 by petengade »

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 13:51:15 »
If I have to buy apples for cooking I generally buy Cox.I don't have to add sugar and the flavour is lovely. The only exception is for baked apples when the tart taste is just right with the mincemeat stuffing.
Will you have room to freeze any?
Smile, it confuses people.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 14:43:53 »
Code: [Select]
Over here Bramleys  or indeed any apple called a cooking apple are unheard When I came to UK 'cooking' apples was new term for me too. In Finland apple is just apple..they are all used the same..or with some distinction as dryer ones for baking and more 'wetter' ones for juicing, sweet ones for eating and sour for baking and drying.
First time I saw Bramleys.. :o..like a huge alien apples.. ;D
When the cropping season really kicks in I use apples like veg by chopping some in stews, caseroles and curries. Handfull into porridge with honey..mmm..some small cubes into muffin dough...or even into bread.
Quickly quick apple with brown sugar and cinnamon with ice cream....mmmm..
Thin slices in sandwich instead of cumber does the job just as well..in salads..etc..
Yes...I'm apple mad... ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 17:29:13 »
When I lived in the middle east there too you couldn't get cooking apples and just used any apple.

As for recipes....  Windfall Cake

9oz/250g S R Flour
Pinch of salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
6oz/175g margarine
4oz/100g caster sugar
4oz/100g sultanas
12oz/350g windfall apples weighed after peeling, cored and diced
2 eggs
Castor sugar to dredge

Grease an 8” deep cake tin, set oven to 150° (fan) or equivalent

Sift the flour with salt and cinnamon, rub in the margarine.

Stir in sugar, sultanas and apples.  Stir in eggs with a spoon – do not beat.

Place in the prepared tin.  Bake for 45 – 50 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.  Serve warm or cold dredged with caster sugar.

I have also made apple flapjack, stew some apples and layer half the flapjack mixture in a tin, spread cooked apples on top and cover with remaining flapjack mixture, cook as normal.

Chutneys are a good use of apples, I really like Delia's Dowerhouse Chutney, sometimes called Doverhouse, it's lovely :)

Enjoy your apples!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 18:34:48 »
Thank you for the info on Bramleys. In the UK I never had to try to keep them but here the old guy who runs the orchard told me they don't keep. I will question that. I didn't buy many because of what he said but I will buy 50 lbs if they keep. I doubt that they are a different one and they certainly looked like Bramleys.

Thanks a lot Tim, that is very useful info. I have a cool dark place they should be just fine in

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 12:44:58 »

Thanks everyone!!

Tim - Tarte tatin will be a definite

Jennym - yes hadn't thought of doing a 'cook the apple test' but will do

Apple flapjack, chutney etc.. all sound good

Can always rely on members to come up trumps

Debs x :-*

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal