Author Topic: Mint cordial  (Read 1424 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Mint cordial
« on: August 05, 2011, 13:36:43 »
If you have loads of feral mint taking over any patch of your plot, here is a good use for it. Use it in cold water or soda water, or in cocktail (I think a dash in a Mojito would be lovely). This makes roughly 1.5 litres.

300g fresh mint, washed, which is basically several big bunches
1 litre of water
1.2kg sugar
(Yes you can reduce or increase quantities proportionally).

Chop up the stems of mint roughly and bruise it.
Boil the water and pour over the mint in a bowl, and steep the mint in the water for 24 hours, covered.
The next day, wring out the mint getting all the drops of juice out.
Dissolve the sugar into it then boil for 2-3 minutes.
Cool and bottle.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Mint cordial
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 18:37:43 »
I like mint drinks, tea, or with lemon etc, but hadn't thought of using it just by itself. Thanks  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 18:51:58 »
Antipodes, this is OK to prepare and use quickly as if you were making say fresh orange juice, but iou cannot bottle it and keep it..mint is the same as any other low acid food, eg veggies  and canning/bottling it  without pressure canning for the appropriate time  is  dangeous for botulism.

It is very low acid and runs a high risk

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:06:10 »
Even though it is filled with sugar? And was boiled during preparation?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 21:40:10 »
Sorry , sugar does not help the acid content and boiling is not a high enough temperature.Even adding vinegar or lemon juice would not help with greenery,,it is very low acid not even borderline like tomatoes so you can't adjust it.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal