Author Topic: Ideal allotment new site requirements  (Read 5515 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Ideal allotment new site requirements
« on: September 28, 2011, 18:26:35 »
Hi

It occurs to me that with the wealth of experience we have it might be a good idea to discuss the requirements for a NEW allotments site?

What is needed as an essential and what is a nice to have.

What things need to be taken into account when selecting a site or what is needed is a site is being created from scratch as in my old site which was build on a settled spoil heap on a new build estate.

cam

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Ideal allotment new site requirements
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 19:51:56 »
Most sites, historically, seem to be established on a crap bit of land that no-one else wants for any other purpose. We're a Poors' Field, which fits the bill exactly.

But seriously, what about: water (on or near every plot); secure gates & fencing; adequate car access/parking; security of tenure; a hands-on committee; good communication.

Desirable extras? A loo; machinery; BBQ or other social events; newsletter/website; a waiting list; good relations with the local community.

Discuss....

nolandyet/nowwedo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:33:25 »
I shall be watching this thread as our allotment association are  quite close to getting land , I'm particularly interested in this secure fencing. What types are used in rural village locations, we were thinking of post and rail or 5 foot chainlink with a Hawthorn/ Blackthorn hedge growing through it .
After a rollercoaster summer with Parish council/Landowners/Developers/ all meeting with us I see an end in sight.
All the best.
Richard....

Linnea

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 09:05:05 »
in my opinion!

essential - land with clearly marked plot (and site) boundaries.

nice to have
water
manure
wood chip (for paths)
shed/storage
loo(s)

another thing to think of is where people park cars. we have to street park with technically a two hour limit during the week. which for those of us with days off canbe a bit problematic. mostly it's not enforced but it could be!

I'm sure I'll think of other things later!  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 12:44:26 »
Well i just though it might be a good idea to have a pool for this information and i might in the next month or so write a paper and pop it to the association of town and village clarks :)

Agree land is usually a scrappy bit of land no one else wants but there is a lot of things that can get done before its handed over to save a lot of fighting to get it done later :)

As i see it the land falls into 3 camps

Virgin land  - AKA not used at the moment as an allotments site with sitting tennants and not been used in last 5 years to grow veg or keep animals
Cultivated land - AKA not used at the moment as an allotments site with sitting tennants but which has been used in last 5 years to grow veg or keep animals
Tenanted land - Land which has been or currently is being used for allotments being moved to council hands

I see the first 2 as being very simple to deal with its the 3rd one which i think we all can see having issues as usually these are in control of a cabal of a few people who do not tell the council the exact state of the site and who dont communicate well with other allotment holders.

Fencing - I think we can all agree that security is a real issue for allotments and is a major budget consideration but it has be addressed in our site we had chain link type fencing (7/8ft) supposed by metal uprights which went out at an angle away from the allotments and which then had razor wire on and signs all the way around to warn people of this fact to stop them hurting themselves. Access was though a large double gate suitable for a large truck to pass though and in many cases access for theft was though here. Chicken wire should be fitted both sides of the wire and 2ft under the ground to help restrict rabbits etc.

Marking out plots - This was a bit of a mess on our site we had wooden stakes marking out the plot with string between them which quickly were 'moved' by plot holders :( i would recommend something along the line of 3ft high fencing which the plot holder should maintain. I have seen some nice ones on other sites made from old doors which were sanded back and painted white and looks very cute but also were functional as the site was windy and were ideal for sheltering plants.

Soil Preparation - for the virgin land, cultivated land and what areas of the tennanted land which can be the area should have as much composted waste, manure and leaf mold as can be reasonably accessed rotivated into the ground depending on the soil type access to sawdust might also be useful. The soil should also tilled to break up large lumps and bring stones to the surface for removal.

Water - I think at a minimum each site should have access to water on the site our site had water at each corner of the site which was not huge (80 plots) and would have worked better if we had a unit fitted to the tap which acted like a toilet cysten so there was a large container which was always filled with water (think bath but not as wide something that would let you fit a couple of watering cans in) this would accomodate the rush hour summer watering and save time  *(councils can have 2 meters fitted 1 which is water only to service the plots and one which is water and sewage for servicing toilets either at the time of the site being opened or in preparation for them at a future date. This will cost no more to fit but will save a significant amount of water rates.) In our site the 2 watering areas adjacent plots designated for use by the disabled so they could fit hoses if there disability required but on the whole hoses were banned.

Storage - Consideration needs to be given to the storage for the entire sites use of compost, wood chips and wood. On our site we had a odd shaped plot near the entrance which we took over and covered in old carpets to keep the weeds away from the main foot fall area and then build a number of bays with old pallets 3 were for compost and every 2 months we would turn the compost from one bin to another till it got to the end bay where it was chipped in and left to break down. There was a large bay at the entrance to the plot which allowed regular deliverys by tree surgeon to just come and dump his chippings and plot holders came and helped themselves. and
at the back we have a insect hotel made out of more pallets to encourage hedgehogs etc into the site as this area was hard to get to it was perfect. We also had a large bay opposite the wood chips for deliverys of soil improver from the local council and a back up delivery area at the back of the car park (land designated for a building if we could raise the funds).

Parking - We had 10 spaces in a large square by the main entrance which also accommodated a truck to turn around having delivered soil or wood chips.

phew :)

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 12:49:55 »
Think of a width between the allotments - then double it !   With the overhang from crops the pathway is sometimes obliterated.     Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 12:55:34 »
Yes i did remember seing something on a TV program on a site which had a 1ft gab between sites and it was causing problems for the council as the plot holders would encroach on our site we did not have this we just let the plots sort it out themselves never was a problem.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 20:19:02 »
Decent drainage. It's no fun when you keep getting flooded!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 20:34:03 »
A toilet would be fantastic :)

tony69

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 21:39:03 »
As you may have read we are in the middle of taking over our site.

Its not been running for awhile as a proper allotment but its getting there.
our site is really nice and open for allotments its not got lots of sheds, high fences, trees etc scatted every and a rd straight down the middle leaves one line of plots down either side of it.

Each plot has a grass path down either side at the moment and the rd is also grass so it looks really nice.

We feel that its on the right track and almost everyone keeps there plots really nice and tidy.

We have no toilet as yet but we are looking into it as we already have drains on site, we also have water but at this moment in time only the ex committee have the keys also something thats going to change soon (the bill is in the x chairs  name at mo not the societys name ) so no big rush.

Security is not to bad a few patches of hedge missing and a hole or to in the fence but we are looking at this as job number 1.

We feel if things keep going down the same route we will have a really nice happy site.

Think we have everything we need at the mo but if ive missed something vital that you have please let me know

thanks tony

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 19:29:42 »
I would be interested in opinions on whether the orientation of plots is important and the best option.
Also going on a 5 rod plot the best dimensions ie width to length.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 19:45:22 »
I would be interested in opinions on whether the orientation of plots is important and the best option.
Also going on a 5 rod plot the best dimensions ie width to length.
All of my plots have been roughly north-south alligned, but I don't think it makes any difference.  If the allignment of crop rows is important to an allotmenteer they can choose that for themselves - my rows span the width of my plot at 35 degrees to add interest, so any allignment is possible whatever the allignment of the plot.

I like beds to be around 15'-17' wide because I find it a nice manageble width, so I would suggest plots of 1 pole wide (16.5'), making 5 pole plots 5 poles long (82.5').
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 19:57:35 »
Our allotments are orientated North East to South West  Plants do not seem to mind.

Water is essential.  Too well drained can be a problem as well particularly in a dry summer.  

We have a lack of security fencing though the hawthorn is now doing its best.

Our site very windy particularly Mr North West Wind Esq.  So sheltered position would be favourable, though a wall of peas do a good job.

It is my experience that the most men prefer rows right across the plot while the majority of ladies go in for square or rectangular planting sections often of random sizes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal