Author Topic: Blue Barrels  (Read 8634 times)

Mr Pepper

• Retired happy chappy
Blue Barrels
« on: November 03, 2011, 22:16:34 »
Hi, I'm looking for those big blue barrels. Does anyone know anywhere near Doncaster I could get them from?

Thanks
Dig on for Victory!

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
Re: Blue Barrels
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 23:26:22 »
Mine came from the local bus company.  Only to glad to get rid of them as there none returnable and it saves the cost of having to take them to the tip.  They contained the cleaning stuff for washing the buses with.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 08:56:54 »
We got ours from pataks anywhere that gets bulk stuff, ours smelled like mango chutney  ;D

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 16:27:34 »
hi there,

blue barrels are free if you know where to look and ask. just try asking around car washes etc they use them to contain cleaning fluids.

just cut the tops off with saw and wash out. we drilled a hole in the side and fitted a brass tap from diy shop.

lift up two breeze blocks high and fill watering can.... blue peter badge wearer..lol

Digmore

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 17:18:38 »
We got ours from pataks anywhere that gets bulk stuff, ours smelled like mango chutney  ;D

Yum!
Grow yer bugger grow!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 17:46:42 »
Please remember to cover them with something, we don't want any more cats or birds falling in and drowning.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

tim41

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 17:51:50 »
we got some from a farmer. You may be lucky and get a relay big square barrel thing we did.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 19:46:14 »
Please remember to cover them with something, we don't want any more cats or birds falling in and drowning.

Not only that, if you keep the light out it keeps the water sweet. One year I learnt this the hard way. I'd had the plot for a couple of years, and I noticed a green algal bloom in the water butt by the shed. I didn't think twice to it beyond wishing I still had a microscope so I could see what it was. A few weeks later a plague of gnats developed as thousands of larvae fed in the algae!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 19:59:28 »

Not only that, if you keep the light out it keeps the water sweet. One year I learnt this the hard way. I'd had the plot for a couple of years, and I noticed a green algal bloom in the water butt by the shed. I didn't think twice to it beyond wishing I still had a microscope so I could see what it was. A few weeks later a plague of gnats developed as thousands of larvae fed in the algae!

Thanks for that Robert.  A few of our plot holders might not care if cats or birds drown but I'm sure they won't want a plague of gnats!  I will let them know.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Mr Pepper

• Retired happy chappy
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 21:14:02 »
I am now the proud owner of 6 large blue barrels. 3 will be connected together. I have seen this done with pipes at the base of each one rather than the top. Has anyone else tried this?
Dig on for Victory!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 08:56:38 »
Hiya, Mr pepper, welcome to a4a  ;D
we have the blue barrels done both ways on our site. The ones connected at the bottom keep to the same level in all of them. The ones connected at the top fill one to another as they get full. One challenge with the bottom connected ones is we didn't seal them properly at first and they emptied quickly  :)

Mr Pepper

• Retired happy chappy
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 09:20:08 »
Thanks for that I suppose one advantage of connecting at the bottom is you only need one tap, I am considering connecting at the top and syphoning or even using a small 12 volt pump. I wonder if connecting at the bottom keeps the water fresh as it is always flowing from one to the other to maintain the level?
Dig on for Victory!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 09:25:30 »
We only have a tap on the top systems, built up on breeze blocks to get a watering can in. In fact, we use the other method to dunk the cans in. We're looking, as an allotment site, to get a few pumps as we're trying to use all collected water  :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 09:28:42 »
Ours are connected with long pipes which drape over the top but then go down to the bottom, they find the level slowly after used one to water. It seems to work ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 16:59:34 »
I'm wondering about the best way to combine four barrels of different types and three steel tanks, on one polytunnel I'm planning.

I was at an allotments conference in Birmingham the other day; several people have identified sources of barrels, and we've asked BCC to collect the details and circulate sites with the information. If they're going to threaten people with eviction for using hoses to water directly, it's the least they can do!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal