Author Topic: Garlic and shallots...how much should I order?  (Read 3628 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Garlic and shallots...how much should I order?
« on: August 12, 2011, 11:44:10 »
I want to plant autumn shallots and garlic. I have been looking at this site and read recommendations....but I don't quite understand how many I need to plant to reasonably supply a garlic-and-onion loving family of four :) Any advice....also not certain what garlic varieties to go for :(
Here's the shallots
http://thegarlicfarm.co.uk/Gourmet-Shallot-x-15-Sets-1A6620BCDB.aspx#

and here's the garlic options
http://thegarlicfarm.co.uk/TSeed-Garlic--Grow-Garlic--Plant-Garlic--Harvest-Garlic--Sow-Garlic--Isle-of-Wight-Garlic.aspx

and

http://thegarlicfarm.co.uk/TSeed-Garlic--Grow-Garlic--Plant-Garlic--Harvest-Garlic--Sow-Garlic--Isle-of-Wight-Garlic.aspx
Jackie

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
Re: Garlic and shallots...how much should I order?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 12:09:47 »

Think of a suitable number then double it.  If you grow too many, how many freinds would like a bunch?    ::)   Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:10:33 »
Well - you've gone to the right people.

It all depends!

Garlic. How many bulbs do you get through per week? A bought-in bulb (we mostly use Solent Wight - a good keeper)  gives you about 6-8 good cloves & 4-6 smaller ones - better for green garlic.

Onions - we ((3-4 people) use at least 600 a year.

Shallots - the Jermor type are a MUST for the chef!! Do you pickle? Each 'seed' gives you about 9 shallots.

E&OE!

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 12:18:30 »
Personally I would go for the softneck pack.  Hardnecks don't seem to do well on our plot in Northumberland (they end up as mini bulbs) but softies do fine. You should get plenty from that pack and be able to choose what variety you prefer and/or is better suited to your local conditions.

I'd also get the elephant garlic pack and a couple of the shallots

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 12:23:50 »
Thanks both. We adore garlic and onions.

I think I can now work out how many garlic cloves I need...any preferences regards varieties?

Apologies for asking the obvious, are the Garlic Companies shallots Jemor type ones?

With regards your onion totals Tim, is this all your Autumn planting ones or do you do extra in Spring? I have some long florence seed too.
Jackie

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 12:24:47 »
Personally I would go for the softneck pack.  Hardnecks don't seem to do well on our plot in Northumberland (they end up as mini bulbs) but softies do fine. You should get plenty from that pack and be able to choose what variety you prefer and/or is better suited to your local conditions.

I'd also get the elephant garlic pack and a couple of the shallots

Thanks Uncle...I typed my reply as yours posted :)
Jackie

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 12:54:25 »
what is the advantage of  autumn planting over spring planting of onions garlic shallots as Ive only planted spring time i was thinking autumn planting would free up some room for squashes etc whats everyones views please

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 13:42:31 »
Autumn planting means you have onions earlier in the season. I start lifting them as required from about end April to May. They can be very disappointing though: in a bad winter you can lose quite a few.

Jermor shallots are the long ones rather than round ones. Like banana shallots. I usually grow eschalote grise but they are all good.

I grow both softneck and hardneck garlic. Softneck is easier to grow, stores better and 9clue in the name) can be braided into strings which are quite decorative. Hardneck has bigger cloves and produces tasty scapes which can de stir-fried.

You need to work out how much space you have for alliums, bearing in mind your crop rotation, and how you are going to space them.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 13:52:50 »
yes, you need 250 overwintering onions per person. Last winter i lost 20% to the frost and another 20% bolted whilst still small because of the crap weather. I plant 14 - 16 square yards of them
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 14:50:20 »
There are 4 of us, and I no longer buy onions or garlic or shallots. I plant about 4 or 5 bulbs worth of cloves in late November, then I plant shallots in Feb and onion in March. This year I planted 500g of shallots, and they and onions yield, for me anyway about a 1:6 ratio. I planted brown and red onions over about 12 sq m plot and I got about 15kg of onions. I feel like I use them a lot but maybe not.  Remember that some inevitably get a bit damaged and have to be eaten more quickly.
I planted the same amount last year and I just finished as the new lot were harvested.
I do not do overwintering onions.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 15:31:35 »
Many thanks for all of this info. I have more of an idea what I need to do now :)
Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal