Author Topic: Poor Husbandry  (Read 10703 times)

Nigel B

• Hectare
Re: Poor Husbandry
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 20:46:29 »
..............................SNIP..........Allotments are not "public" places, but they are communal, and all members have responsibilities to other members. (Strange how the word "responsibilities" has been replaced by the word "rights"....)

Where'd you get that Trevor? Is there somewhere (A particular Allotments Act Clause for example) I can verify this?
 I'd be obliged, ect, ect, ect...  :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 21:03:31 »
The full title of our allotments is "The Ruislip-Northwood Co-operative Smallholding & Allotment Society Limited." We are all shareholders and registered as a Mutual with the FSA.

Hence my comment. We all have responsibilities!!!!

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 21:58:04 »
;D  The answer I seek, it seems, is as far away now as it was then...... :P
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 23:33:44 »
Interesting 'discussion'.
Are Allotments Public Places?

I say No! Absolutely not.
I also say (but the police seem to differ)  that carrying my gardening 'penknife', in fact a small lock-knife with a 2" (50mm) blade, is not an illegal act. Nor is using it to cut string, etc.
At our Allotments we have to pass through 4 sets of gates before entering the Allotments themselves and pay for, not only our rents and water bill, but also for the key that lets us gain access!
Still, the charge-sheet reads, 'possession of a knife with a lockable-blade in a public place.....' (Not 'With Intent', I might add.)

We'll see, I suppose. At public expense too. :-
What a load of c**p!
It might be an idea to start a separate thread for this Nigel as it's a serious issue for very many allotmenteers, but to offer a brief suggestion:  I'm guessing from what you've said that you've been charged under S.139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1998 with having a blade with you in a public place?

Whether your allotment is a "public place" within the meaning of the act depends on whether the public are permitted access to it and that's something the jury would decide on the facts, but if the site wasn't open to uninvited visitors when you had the knife on you and it's fenced and gated then no, that's not a "public place".

Of course if you've carried the knife through a public place to get to the allotment then there's the problem.

However, you have a defence if you can prove on the balance of probability that you had the knife for a good reason, such as if you had some string on you and you were obviously on your way to the allotment to tie up your dahlias.

You've got legal representation, right?  They haven't started court action, right?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 08:28:05 »
Good morning everyone,

I seem to have scratched an old wound. Tangential comments of photos and privacy have little to do with poor husbandry, I have found over the years that these sort of arguements are designed to deflect away from the original statement - lack of responsibility for poor plot management.

KIS or keep it simple is surely the motto to be held by all plotters, why handle anything twice. Making hard work for yourself by not clearing weeds, seeded weeds produce next years chores, diligent weeding gradually reduces the yearly work. It called plot management.

We all have little areas on our plots that need a little work and thats the next project.

Oh, Harry A, love the the comment; rights and responsibilities, I agree. How these words get misused

Bye for now

Digmore

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 09:22:04 »

Well, I've learned my lesson.  I'll stick to writing about pumpkins and chillies from now on.  That can't cause any problems, can it?

Please continue to post on allotment matters Betty - personally I enjoy your posts but then again I am a sec as well!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 09:50:58 »
It is not you that is causing problems Betty so don't you dare stop posting about allotment matters. Apart from that I don't go onto the chillies section. ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 18:51:28 »
It's good when people have different opinions and discuss them freely - it's just bolshiness that causes problems.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2011, 19:23:13 »
My plot is terribly untidy.  It is full to overflowing with plants and I am getting an exellent harvest.  The paths have now disappeared as well.    Compared with the neat rows with bare soil between of many plots mine is very different.   

I do try an make sure there are no blowing weeds.  I am rather frustrated by neighbouring plots full of milk thistle, ordinary thistle and dandelion.  I have less of an issue with fat hen for example because the seeds tend to fall in situ.

But I am mulching more and more to minimise weeds.   So I am trying not to get too worked up about weeds.  The field next door is a meadow and is full of dandelions.

I think what you have to say is fine Squash 64 please do not stop. 

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 22:08:04 »
I have a no dig policy. So your not lifting the spuds then.

Not yet no, I leave them in the ground until I am ready. What's it got to do with you?

If you were on my site I think I'd have lamped you one. Esp when you had a go at me for the radishes that are being left for their seeds. Or the beans that are left to dry in their pods for dried beans.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 22:36:37 »
Poorly kept allotments are very annoying. I am also secretary and most people don't take bad news kindly. Saying this, I still would be very careful about what I say online about other people or their plots. Even if you don't identify people by name they are identifiable to those who know them and it wouldn't help get people on your side, which is what is really wanted. You don't have to identify people by name to identify them. I am pretty sure that if you post enough information that it can be worked out it is basically the same thing! I have been involved in running other (pretty large) forums and have seen the legal threats made and attempted! Whether it is legal is not isn't really the issue in this case. It isn't really very polite to air other people's dirty laundry in public. I am sure you do a great job on your site Betty. Being secretary is a thankless job and probably whatever you do will rattle some cages. We all want to vent sometimes and also like the reassurance that we are doing the right thing; people will argue black and blue that their plot is fine when it is clearly a mess.  The internet is quite a scary medium really. Things sticking around, searchable etc. A bit like people posting personal information on sites like facebook. In this day it does serve to be careful about what is said online as don't want things coming back to bite you.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 08:26:42 »
I take your point Sparkly, and thank you for putting it across in such a nice, friendly manner!  :)

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 02:45:20 »
From the return postings, it seems most of us, manage our plots well. Mulching and crop seed cultivation all seem to be at the fore of the keen plotter. No one minds an untidy plot [it shows a sign of an organised mind relaxing].

Its when as I initially stated, when weeds compete with crops or their seeds or root systems affect another plot, it becomes a husbandry issue. Or when items of rubbish are just dumped on the plot by the plot holder leaving the opportunity for housing vermin or for future tenants to clear. This becomes a management issue, hence comments from neighbours / committee.

Allotments should be an enjoyable relaxing space, as a community we work together both on our own sites and through forums such as this. If we can not discuss things openly in a civilised manner no one will learn anything.

Individuality is not an issue, we all do thing slightly differently. It is only when our actions affect our neighbours in a negative way that we need to address the situation.

Digmore

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal