Author Topic: Poor Husbandry  (Read 10779 times)

digmore

• Half Acre
Poor Husbandry
« on: August 04, 2011, 23:10:56 »
Why oh why, do plot holders whinge when asked to tidy their plot up. Do they not understand that their mismanagement affects their neighbours. Surely, if someone says something to you in an official capacity, there is a reason.

Having been a plot holder for several years, I am still smiling at some of the excuses, both from old hands and newbies.

If you left me alone I could get on with it. But you had a warning 6 months ago.

I grow organic. What weeds.

I have a no dig policy. So your not lifting the spuds then.

Fortunately, most ploters have a sense of humour. My son once said to me, dad if your living on the edge your taking up to much space.  Perhaps the lazy ploters are taking up to much space, do the decent  thing and leave, let someone else have a go.

Digmore

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Poor Husbandry
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 05:55:45 »
Looks like you are having the same problem as I am at the moment  :)

I had to tell a plotholder that he needed to tidy up his plot

[attachment=1]

and when I'd gone he asked his neighbour what was wrong with it.

He sprays the weeds with Roundup and leaves them standing there like skeletons. He has massive bags of good quality compost delivered then leaves it to grow more weeds in and apart from weeds, doesn't seem to have grown anything this year.

Welcome to A4A!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 07:50:03 »
I don't think that we are ever going to get the allotment sites looking as we would like them to look because the rules are too lax.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 08:11:15 »
Why oh why, do plot holders whinge when asked to tidy their plot up. Do they not understand that their mismanagement affects their neighbours. Surely, if someone says something to you in an official capacity, there is a reason.

Depends what you mean digmore.  If you are referring to cultivation and keeping weeds (and therefore seeds) under control then I absolutely agree.
However I am a chaotic gardener and my plot is far from tidy - some may say that it is a bit of a mess and I love it like that - it is however cultivated and generally productive.  I personally don't see that it is anyone else's business how tidy my plot is - as long as I am not breaking any rules of course.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:22:40 »
I understand what you mean Nick, I am not a 'tidy' gardener either.

I shouldn't have told the plotholder to "tidy up" but should have told him that digging and planting might be a good idea!

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:26:25 »
I don't think that we are ever going to get the allotment sites looking as we would like them to look because the rules are too lax.

This is true.  I suppose the rules are in place to protect the plot holder from over-zealous little hitlers  ;D  but it is very frustrating. 

I really don't expect plots to be immaculate and weed-free, but having a plot and then not planting anything at all is such a waste when we have a waiting-list.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 09:34:10 »

However I am a chaotic gardener and my plot is far from tidy - some may say that it is a bit of a mess and I love it like that - it is however cultivated and generally productive.  I personally don't see that it is anyone else's business how tidy my plot is - as long as I am not breaking any rules of course.

Yes I tend to agree with this. Mine plot does get a bit overgrown at times, but I do have productive things growing in every part of it, and as time goes on I have learnt how to fill it up over the year. I would not leave rubbish as in betty's photo.
But the idea of allotments looking as they should, I am not sure I see the point. They are surely a functional place? So just like on a working farm, not everything is pretty. If I let something go to seed, it's not to be messy, it's to save the seed! (I currently have a parsnip "bush" doing just that). If instead of having bare ground everywhere like the "traditional" gardeners do, I have the weeds rotting on the ground as mulch, that's messy but there is a reason for it. While I agree that not actually growing anything is a waste and surely the plot should be given to someone who needs to grow stuff, I do think some caution needs to be exercised on the aesthetic question and accept that not everyone uses the same methods...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 09:40:13 »
Call me an old cynic but I can't help wondering if our newbie Digmore is a regular poster who has registered a new ID to make the opening post.

And posting pictures on the internet of your neighbours allotments to say "look how terrible this plot is" is rude and also a privacy violation.

Sorry, but I think this is unacceptable.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 13:00:10 »
Call me an old cynic but I can't help wondering if our newbie Digmore is a regular poster who has registered a new ID to make the opening post.

And posting pictures on the internet of your neighbours allotments to say "look how terrible this plot is" is rude and also a privacy violation.

Sorry, but I think this is unacceptable.

I hope you don't think it's me?  I believe the Admin people are able to find out if people join under different IDs and I certainly have no objection to them looking into Digmore's registration.

As for the photos I put up - the allotments are a public place and I don't think privacy is being violated.  I have not named the plotholders concerned.

I suggest that you put me on 'Ignore'.  This isn't the first time you have found what I post to be objectionable.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 13:29:14 »
Betty is secretary as well, so it is not a case of the plot  just belonging to a neighbour.
As such she has responsibility to help  the site work  for everyone's best interest.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 13:44:11 by pumpkinlover »

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 13:52:41 »

Depends what you mean digmore.  If you are referring to cultivation and keeping weeds (and therefore seeds) under control then I absolutely agree.

I agree with you barriedalenick, I think that much as it may annoy other plot holders, it is our plot, we pay for it, and we are cultivating it in our own way, we are not stopping someone else from having the opportunity of having a plot,  so we should be allow to conduct our own management..if we don't keep within the guidelines I hope that this is brought to our attention in a nice way.

There will always be a mix of tidy and untidy, but surely we can all live together. :)

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 13:54:23 »
^^ PL, please explain why posting pictures of peoples plots on the internet works in the interest of the allotment site.

If I saw a picture of my plot up on the internet without my permission I would insist that the Forum Mods remove it.

Allotments aren't public places, they are rented by individuals for their own private use.

And members of a committee need to behave in a professional manner in all matters related to allotment business, unpaid volunteers or not.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 15:33:42 »
Denby - google has pic of your house - have you asked them to remove it?
I'm sorry but I totally disagree (it seems to tbe the seaon for disagreement) - there is no law to prevent me taking pictures of other people's plots - I do it all the time and many of them have been posted and reposted here and elsewhere on the web.  The idea that you can prevent people taking pics and posting them online has no merit.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 17:31:27 »
Interesting 'discussion'.
Are Allotments Public Places?

I say No! Absolutely not.
I also say (but the police seem to differ)  that carrying my gardening 'penknife', in fact a small lock-knife with a 2" (50mm) blade, is not an illegal act. Nor is using it to cut string, etc.
At our Allotments we have to pass through 4 sets of gates before entering the Allotments themselves and pay for, not only our rents and water bill, but also for the key that lets us gain access!
Still, the charge-sheet reads, 'possession of a knife with a lockable-blade in a public place.....' (Not 'With Intent', I might add.)

We'll see, I suppose. At public expense too. :-X
What a load of c**p!
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 17:31:38 »
Denby - google has pic of your house - have you asked them to remove it?

^^ Not so.  My house isn't on Google StreetView as it is at the bottom of a private drive and the camera vehicles only travelled on public highways when they did the photography.  And you can't see much of it on Google Earth either.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree (it seems to tbe the seaon for disagreement) - there is no law to prevent me taking pictures of other people's plots - I do it all the time and many of them have been posted and reposted here and elsewhere on the web.  The idea that you can prevent people taking pics and posting them online has no merit.

Yes, you are correct, there is no law saying that you can't photograph your neighbour's home, car or allotment and then post a picture of it on the internet with a comment about how poor it is.  That doesn't mean that it is fine to do it.   But it is a easy thing to test: next time, ask your neighbour and see what he/she says - that would be basic courtesy, would it not?

Edited to add "" now resigns from the thread **
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 17:43:33 by DenbyVisitor »

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 18:49:49 »
I believe the Admin people are able to find out if people join under different IDs and I certainly have no objection to them looking into Digmore's registration.

As for the photos I put up - the allotments are a public place and I don't think privacy is being violated.  I have not named the plotholders concerned.

I suggest that you put me on 'Ignore'.  This isn't the first time you have found what I post to be objectionable.

I can see the registration details (including IP address) of each member.  I can't see a list of all members' registration details.  I have spotted a couple of sockpuppets recently but only because the posting styles seemed familiar so I had a 'suspect' to check against.  There's no evidence at the moment that the OP is a sock.  Hopefully, they'll come back and introduce themselves properly.

BTW - sockpuppets get banned.

As far as posting pics of plots with critical comment is concerned, I'd advise caution for your own protection.  It's worth remembering that we have a lot of lurkers and it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that someone who knows the site/the plot/the plotholder spots it and reports back/complains.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 18:51:44 »
Well its good to know that you can see if someone is posting under a different name from the same IP address..It would certainly be a warning to anyone that thought that they could come on here just to cause trouble.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 18:56:27 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 18:57:55 »
Everyone is entitled to their opinion ! Not everyone agrees ! Officials (paid or not ) are there to do a job! Often thanklessly !
As for pictures ! if you are that ashamed of your plot/house/car or anything else then i can understand you not wanting to have it photographed! I would love everyone to photograph my plot as i am proud of it !!!  :)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 19:24:22 »
Well, that raised a few hackles, didn't it? Digmore, are you coming back to contribute further to this interesting thread? And Betty, quite a few of actually know what a bloody impossible job Secretary is - especially when they're hands-on like you.

When unpaid volunteers stop doing jobs like this, allotment sites will collapse and become a sea of weeds. (And for the record, I couldn't possibly identify which plot was in Betty's photograph, as it was a close-up.)

Allotments are not "public" places, but they are communal, and all members have responsibilities to other members. (Strange how the word "responsibilities" has been replaced by the word "rights"....)

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 19:59:22 »
The way this thread developed has made me seriously think twice before posting anything to do with the allotment movement/committees etc. in future.

Trevor, you are right about what an impossible job being the secretary is.  It's bad enough having to inspect overgrown neglected plots but then if I dare to mention it on here I get someone who criticises everything I write. 

Well, I've learned my lesson.  I'll stick to writing about pumpkins and chillies from now on.  That can't cause any problems, can it?

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal