Author Topic: my runners  (Read 1469 times)

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
my runners
« on: August 04, 2011, 20:59:10 »
  at last my runners have started to grow, some even at the top of the
 poles and quite a few blossoms....  :) :) :)

qahtan

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: my runners
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:18:17 »
I have never grown runner beans, but after having seen a friend's patch recently I would like to give them a go next year. Not quite sure where I will find poles to put them up, but they are spectacular. People grow them very rarely in France, except really out in the country.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 19:02:40 »
I've got beans on my Black Magic. They're only an inch long, but they're definitely bean pods.

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:30:52 »
WOW

I have been growing runner beans for over 50 years and make no secret about them being my favourite veg.

They are climbers and they will (with help) coil round and climb up just about anything

Canes are best of course but people can use or make any thing for them to coil round

Now the secret is is in the harvesting. They must be picked as soon as they are looking ready. (you will soon learn this)

Pick everything.

NEVER think that you will pick enough for one meal.

ONCE the beans are left to get 'stringy' or over sized they become ruined and inedible.

Better to waste (or better  still  give away) than leave what you do not need.

When growing for the kitchen you do not want the longest, fattest, biggest bean. You want a young tender bean.

Eat fresh. The beans will continue to flower and reproduce for a fairly long period. Once left to get hard the bean plant has completed it's reproductive cycle and wont reproduce as well.

Keep picking.

In a mild winter with the beans in a protected area, in the UK I have harvested into December.

Although some will argue. Fact is, a fresh crop needs to be planted each year for cooking

Although in mild climates the beans will grow for a much longer time. The best results for cooking are from the new bean stalk.

Yes you can let them go to seed and use the beans for stew or for replanting the following spring.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 18:12:19 »
Why don't people grow them in cooler parts of France - they're so tasty, easy and pretty to look at?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal