Author Topic: We're unpaid volunteers, not the flippin' Gestapo  (Read 7927 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: We're unpaid volunteers, not the flippin' Gestapo
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 20:34:22 »
Thank you for your comments Tony69.  I read your post about your secretary and I do feel sorry for you. (I didn't contribute because I don't have any advice to offer, the man sounds like a total nutter)

It's getting on for two weeks since I spoke to the two men about their plots.  One of them has sprayed yet more Roundup, the other has done nothing.
This means I have to speak to them again.  Lucky me!

Welcome to the forum by the way!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

tony69

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 08:02:06 »
Hi, I know this is off topic but you mentoned Roundup in two posts, we have a patch on our lotty that consdtantly grows nettles, the landlord said it's the only place on the whole site that grows nettles constantly. We weed and weed to no avail. Can we spray with roundup and then plant with veggies after a period of time, not sure what though.

We really didn't want to use weed killer but this patch is making life so hard. We just do not know what weedkiller we can use and for how long we have to leave the land before we plant veggies.

Hope you can help

Kind regards
Tony & Karen

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 08:06:22 »
Roundup should kill the nettles but spraying is always a bit risky - if you have a largish area then use an old watering can with a fine rose - it saves it blowing around.
Alternatively you could use the nettles for soup or for making beer!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 09:03:37 »
Am I unreasonable ?if someone used that stuff ..next to my plot I would not be happy.Saying that ,I have used it years ago but I am so keen to be as organic as possible now.Dig Dig Dig is my motto now.Something strangely satisfying about digging up the old stingers as we Brummies call them LOL.

That stuff will drift on any breeze :(

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 09:08:53 »
I've painted on with a paintbrush to get plants in my borders...killed them withoout harming neighbouring plants
Jackie

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 09:19:35 »
We use it where perrenial weeds are coming through from untended plots just to keep them at bay.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

pumkinlover

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 09:51:10 »
Tony69 -why do you not use the nettles to make fertilizer? they are just like making comfrey tea and if you keep croping them they will not go to seed. It sounds like they have self seeded for  along time so as you try and get rid they will keep popping up again.
Welcome to A4A

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 09:58:34 »
Like most management jobs, like being Allotment Sec, you're not going to make any new friends once you've accepted the role.

So if you're prepared to take on a job where you'll probably be as loathed as you are loved perhaps the best survival strategy is being business like?

If you have to tell a tenant to tidy up their plot, then within the first quiet word explain why you are doing this i.e. quote the rules. And I would suggest making a written note of when this first word was taken & with whom because at some point someone will want to argue with you (Well you never told me! etc).

So when you've repeatedly told the same allotment holder another two times to clear their plot, and they don't, then you have legitimate grounds to start eviction (or whenever your rules say is a reasonable period).

Friendly, fair & business like. That way you'll still be hated by some but the job might get done.

I pat the back of anyone who volunteers for the vital roles on any allotment committee.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 18:25:11 »
Any voluntary organisation is vulnerable to little tin hitlers, unfortunately, as they're usually desperate for people to do jobs, and don't stop to ask whether they're psychologically suitable for them. We used to have it on my site; I've come across it in churches and community organisations as well. It's got to the point where I'm a bit wary of getting involved with people I don't know because I don't want to find I'm expected to be fodder for someone's wretched ego trip.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 19:08:52 »
Got it in one Robert
                             I want em saying

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 19:45:09 »
Any voluntary organisation is vulnerable to little tin hitlers, unfortunately, as they're usually desperate for people to do jobs, and don't stop to ask whether they're psychologically suitable for them. We used to have it on my site; I've come across it in churches and community organisations as well. It's got to the point where I'm a bit wary of getting involved with people I don't know because I don't want to find I'm expected to be fodder for someone's wretched ego trip.

This is very sad Robert.  You must have had some bad experiences with committees in the past.

I find it quite difficult to tell people that their plots need attention, especially the two men I'm dealing with at the moment.  The nice, friendly approach doesn't seem to be working.  I'm not sure if I can do the Hitler thing, but something needs to be done.  Any advice?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 19:58:29 »
Well yes! First you talk and explain the problem. Two weeks later first written warning goes out. 2 weeks later 2nd warning goes out. Two weeks later termination of tenancy goes out with 2 weeks to clear the plot and return the key.

8 Werks to get your plot in order or get in touch is surely enough for most folk?? The problem is the worst offenders always take it to the wall and never actually grow much on their plots. Some of them are on the committee!!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 08:42:55 »
If only it was that simple grawrc. I think its a month in between letters in Brum. Problem is that from when the committee decide that the plotholder need to be warned and given the first friendly warning to the last eviction letter can be up to twelve months in some cases. Sometimes even longer if the person keeps pecking at the ground now and again to show that they are doing something. Meanwhile everyone around them has to work twice as hard to get rid of their weeds.

I want em saying

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 09:06:02 »
I know! The theory is great but in practice people don't always fit in nicely with the scheme of things. It used to drive me mad because often I couldn't get past the initial friendly chat because the person never came to their plot, didn't do email, didn't answer their phone, hadn't got the letter and would turn up on the day the termination letter was going out and clear the weeds off their plot only to disappear again.

I'm off our committee now - I resigned at the AGM. Mainly because it was like having a job being secretary and I wanted a bit more time for myself. Anyway I think it's good to have new blood on committees occasionally. Only a third of our committee are pensioners now, last year it was over half and before I joined about 4 years ago there was  only one non-pensioner. Not that I object to pensioners (being one myself!!) but I think it's good to get a balance.

Anyway I digress ....! It is a highly frustrating job sometimes being on an allotment committee.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal