Author Topic: sunflower seeds  (Read 2669 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
sunflower seeds
« on: August 06, 2011, 13:29:36 »
My sunflowers have been a great success this year with some over 2 metres high. The objective was to feed the birds from the seeds but I am not sure whether to remove the heads and dry them in the shed or just leave them on the plant.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: sunflower seeds
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 15:53:34 »
I leave the heads on for all the wildlife to make use of.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 18:09:13 »
I'd take the heads off and dry them in the shed.

If you leave them out a) the squirrels (the evil greys) will get 'em or b) they'll go mouldy if we get much rain.

You pays your money and takes your choice  :)

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 23:31:36 »
I leave them to ripen naturally. The birds will start eating the seeds as soon as they are ripe.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 07:18:15 »
I took some for seeds last year but the ones scattered randomly by nature are doing considerably better than the human sown ones. 

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 19:57:06 »
I completely agree Digeroo. My self sown sunflowers (after the birds have scattered them) are two or three times better than the ones I sowed myself.
Also, Coal Tits bury black sunflower seed (taken from feeders) all over the place during the winter and these grow superbly. It is as if they need a bit of cold to get them to grow well.

However, I would always leave the heads on the plants to ripen naturally and enjoy watching the birds as they feed. Because the seeds do not all ripen at the same time, the heads provide entertainment for several weeks.   

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 21:43:32 »
Thanks for your views. The majority seem to favour leaving them on but I took a couple off to dry in the shed in case all this rain rots them. I suppose they can be transplanted if they pop up in the wrong places! Do you compost the stems or burn them? Some of mine are like tree trunks!

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 22:13:43 »
Plotstoeat the rain won't rot them! I leave a couple of the tallest stems standing for the robins to perch on and the rest, along with sweetcorn stems, I crush then lay at the bottom on the compost heap after I've emptied it and before I add anything else. You can burn them and add the ash to the compost heap if you'd rather.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 14:39:09 »
I thought I'd tag this onto the end of your sunflower thread if that's ok, plots2eat?

At work, I feed the birds through the autumn and winter, hanging the feeders on the rose bushes outside the window (well, I must have a good view from my desk, of course ;D ;D)

Anyway, where the birds have been munching and dropping seeds - up popped 12 sunflowers, this year !! How lovely ;D There's another three which aren't in shot as they're on the other side of the green bush. I'm hoping they'll attract a few more birds ;D

Sorry the pics are not great, I had to take them with my mobile.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal