Author Topic: buddleijas and butterflies  (Read 1994 times)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
buddleijas and butterflies
« on: August 05, 2011, 18:59:08 »
I just wanted to share my delight really.
This is the first year ive had buddlieias in the garden ive got five and the diversity of butterflies and hoverflies thay have brought in has been fabulous . I saw my first ever small copper today after three summers here.
It just makes me happy.

The pink has been the best one with gigantic very perfumed flowers that get covered in nectar drinkers.
Brilliant

x sunloving

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
Re: buddleijas and butterflies
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 19:09:09 »
Small copper are a lovely butterfly, I've seen quite a few whilst out working this year but not managed a photo of one with them being so flighty and aggressive to other insects.

I had a newly emerged comma in my hoop house today, presumably sheltering with my butternuts

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 19:14:52 »
It's nice to 'hear' somebody being so pleased to her life.. ;D..noticed that from few of your posts.. ;)
I don't know if this just local thing here this year..but the amouth of hoverflies this year.. :o I've never seen them in such a quantity.
Have you got many different coloured buddlias?
Code: [Select]
It just makes me happy.. ;D
I made myself happy this morning..I rescued a bat..took her into woods and put her on tree trunk into hollow place.
Poor soul got into wrong place and shop wasn't too impressed having it in their premises..I gave my fleece sleeve to cling to and off we walk from shop.. ;D
That was something new for my 'collection' of rescued animals list.. ;D

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 20:13:42 »
I have a couple of buddleias but no butterflies this year yet.  I am getting quite anxious about them really because I usually have loads by this time in the summer.    ??? ???

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 01:20:30 »
It's nice to 'hear' somebody being so pleased to her life.. ;D..noticed that from few of your posts.. ;)
I don't know if this just local thing here this year..but the amouth of hoverflies this year.. :o I've never seen them in such a quantity.
Have you got many different coloured buddlias?
Code: [Select]
It just makes me happy.. ;D
I made myself happy this morning..I rescued a bat..took her into woods and put her on tree trunk into hollow place.
Poor soul got into wrong place and shop wasn't too impressed having it in their premises..I gave my fleece sleeve to cling to and off we walk from shop.. ;D
That was something new for my 'collection' of rescued animals list.. ;D

Hi Goodlife,

I'm afraid your good intentions were actually the wrong thing to do.  Hopefully the bat was ok and not injured (possibly a young one that got the roost entrance wrong) and was able to recognise where it was and find its roost again but all too often they are cold, dehydrated and die slowly.  They are also good at hiding injuries they may have.

If anyone finds a grounded bat the best thing is to put it in a box/container that it can't get out of with some air holes (use gloves if possible) and then place something like a milk bottle lid with some water in or a peice of clean damp rag in the box as they dehydrate very easily.

Then ring the Bat Conservation Trust national bat helpline on 0845 1300 228 where they will further advise you and take some details so a licensed bat worker can deal with it (all bat species are fully protected by law).

A licensed bat worker will then come for the bat, assess it and try to locate its roost so it can be safely returned if it's healthy.  Sometimes the bat is in need of some care before they can be released and there is a network of bat carers across the UK to do this.

There is more information here:
http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/help.html

If you could pass this info on to the shop it would help a lot incase they get another bat indoors (they may have a roost). A licensed bat worker would then be able to advise them on bats (we're volunteers and it's free).

It would be good if you could pass the information onto your local bat group too.  Here's another link to the BCT website to find your local group:
http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/local_bat_groups.html

They would be very grateful for the information as getting records is often a struggle with all of the misconceptions about bats caused by horror films, etc, plus most people just don't notice them!  The bat groups also run local events such as bat walks if people want to find out more about bats (we have 18 species in the UK).

Just doing my bit for bat conservation,

Lee (bat worker, carer and general oaf)  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal