Author Topic: Feeding Pumpkins  (Read 3751 times)

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
Feeding Pumpkins
« on: July 31, 2011, 06:16:55 »
I finally have a female on one of my plants and I guess I should now start feeding, but with what?

The plant has had a good start with a mix of Manure and FB&B but I dont know what to give it now, and should feed be applied as a foliar spray or to the soil?

Steve...:)
"The Nook"

Photo's copyright ©Steve Randles, however if you want one, please ask.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Feeding Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 11:48:03 »
Don't know about any of the others but I don't feed my pumpkins!

My plants grow on top of the compost heap so they can send their roots out into tha,t and get all the feeding and moisture they want

I guess variety comes into it e.g. I only grow pumpkins for the grand kids so I don't want them too large or else the kids will be unable to lift them!

I grow Jack of Lantern and just leave them to their own resources.

I guess if I were growing giants I would treat them like any other fruit and pmp 'potash' into them.

So I guess its down to the size you want to end up with, but what is key in both cases never let them want for moisture at the roots, hence my compost heap!

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 11:56:49 »
Steve,

They will send down roots at every leaf node so when you feed, it`s important to feed the whole area. I work on the principle that the soil is in good condition to support the plant before I start. After the plant is established, I use a mixture of seaweed and fish emulsions to foliar feed and also as a soil drench. This is done once a week. I also use a C02 foilar fertilizer called Lithovit once every 10 days.
I would steer clear of chemical fertlizers if you can. Pumpkins respond better to slow feeding rather than getting a "big hit" every so often, so the seaweed is a good idea.

Hope this helps

Pete

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 12:37:12 »
I mulch them with compost and water a lot and as steve says not just under the original stem point..

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 12:54:12 »
don't forget the milk

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 15:42:36 »
I'm sorry, I should have been clearer in my first post. It's a giant I'm attempting to grow.

Steve,

They will send down roots at every leaf node so when you feed, it`s important to feed the whole area. I work on the principle that the soil is in good condition to support the plant before I start. After the plant is established, I use a mixture of seaweed and fish emulsions to foliar feed and also as a soil drench. This is done once a week. I also use a C02 foilar fertilizer called Lithovit once every 10 days.
I would steer clear of chemical fertlizers if you can. Pumpkins respond better to slow feeding rather than getting a "big hit" every so often, so the seaweed is a good idea.

Hope this helps

Pete

Thanks Pete, this is great info. Can you perhaps expand on the "mixture of seaweed and fish emulsions" if possible?

Steve...:)
"The Nook"

Photo's copyright ©Steve Randles, however if you want one, please ask.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 15:53:34 »
Pete, would 'Maxicrop' be alright?

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 16:39:25 »
Hi Steve. Take a look at the links below. Both the fish and seaweed emulsions are low in nutrients as I said earlier but they contain minerals and growth regulators which generally benefit plant health. I water them into the ground and also use a fine sprayer to foliar feed the plant leaves.

Betty, Maxicrop is fine, I use it myself :-)

Hope this helps,

Pete

http://www.discountedpetproducts.net/FISH_EMULSION_PINT-UKP116142.html
http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=33&pf_id=DF0008D&co=fr

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal