Author Topic: Sour Crop - Am I Delaying the Inevitable?  (Read 1551 times)

paganskins

• Not So New ...
Sour Crop - Am I Delaying the Inevitable?
« on: August 01, 2011, 19:12:43 »
Number 3 chicken has what looks like sour crop for at least a week and a half.

She was listless, wasn't roosting at night and generally didn't want to leave the coop. On inspection her crop was puffed up to about the size of half a grapefruit.

After googling and reading various websites and forums I tried to get her to bring up the crop's content (by holding inverted and massaging crop), this didn't work. We've were feeding from a syringe to make sure she's getting fluids and something to eat.

The crop's gone down to normalish but still bigger than it should be, squishy and hot to the touch.

She's generally still staying in the coop but if lifted out and put near food and water she is eating and drinking. I'm not sure if she'd bother though if not manually removed from the coop. :(

Should she have bounced back by now or am I just prolonging the inevitable do you think?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Sour Crop - Am I Delaying the Inevitable?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 19:36:40 »
 :-\ she had it quite long now... :-\
But..you could still give her another 'go'.
Don't feed her..it just add to the problem..
Instead..give her good amount of water so the crop is sloshing...tip her upside down..and your partner needs to massage the crop quite firmly..she should throw up all the contents..but be carefull..you will end up getting dirty..it splashes everywhere. But do it only short periods at the time so she can have a breath in between.
Once you've emptied her crop..give her more water with sugar/glucose diluted in..and keep her with that for until next day. If she survives..then start slowly introducing solid food for her diet..and pellets only..no greens..no treats.
She might be better off kept separate from others. Once she show interest drinking her self..keep little sugar in her drinker untill she she is fully perked up.
Good luck..
Mine did pulled through..untill over week later it happened again..and that time I didn't put her through it again...too much.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal